Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How Heavy a Tank Can I Go on the 2nd floor?

I live on the 1st floor, but will be moving in a few weeks to a 2nd floor apartment. I currently have a 55gal Fish Only Live Rock set up
75lbs of Live Rock
30lbs of sand
10 gallon sump/refugium

I've done some research and i learned a 55 gal tank filled with water weighs approx. 625lbs. By my poor math calculations, my current set up weighs approx. 810lbs.
I would like to go a little bit bigger, maybe a 75gal, but i worry my downstairs neighbor will wake up one morning with a new sky light and new aquarium in his living room.
Should I just play it safe and stay with my 55gal set up or can I go to 75gal without much worry?
Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When in doubt, ask a professional.. I'd get a surveyor or engineer or whatever to come check the place out properly. It would be a small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not engineer, but I think is would be Ok. Just make sure you put the tank on multiple beams and not running parrel with them. My townhome sits on top of my garage and I was a bit neverous with my 55 Gal, but so far so good 8O . But I agree with Atari. I would have someone check it out for you. You never know what going on under the floor.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I'm an engineer and I'd tell you that it all depends on the location in relation to load bearing walls. Bu t you can also think of it this way, would you worry about four 200 pound people standing shoulder to shoulder? Probably not. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just tell your fish not to jump around.

Jim
Old 05-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanx for all the quick replies. Either tank would be placed against the wall that divides one apartment from the other, so would that be considered a Load Bearing Wall?
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

not necessarily on the dividing walls. I have drawn some complexes that they were just that "dividing walls", I would suggest that you try and find out which way the joists ate running and place the tank perpendicular to them. Also either tank would probably be fine unless you will have funriture or other heavy objects about the same area
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I have more questions..
1. Is there a way to tell, superficially, the difference between a "Dividing Wall" and "load Bearing Wall"? I understand that the center wall dividing the living room and the bedroom is a load bearing wall, but why wouldn't the wall dividing each apartment be "load bearing"?
2. Am I just over thinking this and letting my paranoia get the best of me?
3. Why do I find this entire conversation so interesting?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

no way to tell just by looking at the wall. If you can get into the ceiling you could tell from there but that's the only way. You might be able to get the complex staff to find out for you. As yakslpat said though not to worry about it to much. Just keep weight around it to a minimum.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Am I just over thinking this and letting my paranoia get the best of me?
yeah

Just go for it, make sure you have renters insurance to cover the tank if it falls through, no big deal :P
Old 05-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
KLN
Aquarium Advice Regular

55 gallons of water weighs 465 pounds. The tank, stand, rocks and sand will add something to this, but not as much as you are estimating. Three good sized men weigh as much, and floors don't fall through from the weight of three people. No worries, mate.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com