how high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What level of nitrates will LPS tolerate? I understand less is better. I've upped my water changes, and feed every other day. My nitrates are at 30ppm right now and I just ordered my lights. I am considering vodka dosing, but all advice welcome.

I've used vodka before. Also nitrate destroyer. Together they worked, but I'm not sure if one was better than the other.
You Di have a skimmer right?

Vodka works very well used it for months brought nitrates to 0 switched to vinager because its much cheaper and uses the same principle.

Are you running any macro algae in the sump or mangroves?

No I'm not.

I've heard that moderate nitrates aren't directly bad for lps, but when algae overruns the tank, then the corals close up and turn brown. Input on this?

Also for those of you with lps, do you supplement with anything, or do you just keep up with water changes?

No I'm not.

I've heard that moderate nitrates aren't directly bad for lps, but when algae overruns the tank, then the corals close up and turn brown. Input on this?

Also for those of you with lps, do you supplement with anything, or do you just keep up with water changes?

Just do water changes.. When you really start to stock up on corals, you may have to start dosing a two part supplement, however, don't worry about that right now and never dose anything without testing for it.

Just do water changes.. When you really start to stock up on corals, you may have to start dosing a two part supplement, however, don't worry about that right now and never dose anything without testing for it.

Okay thanks. I assumed so, but all the sites that sell coral list recommended supplements so I just wanted to be sure.

What are a few hardy, attractive lps that would be good to start with?

Do you drip acclimate your corals? Do you try to light acclimate them?

I drip acclimate then coral dip all my corals.

For LPS I like the euphyllia family of corals. Or, if you have a bit more light the galaxea coral is real nice.

I drip acclimate then coral dip all my corals.

For LPS I like the euphyllia family of corals. Or, if you have a bit more light the galaxea coral is real nice.

Okay, do you mean freshwater dip or do you have a dip made for coral?

Frogspawn is one of my favorites. Are they fairly hardy? Also interested in bubble coral as a first one.

Okay, do you mean freshwater dip or do you have a dip made for coral?

Frogspawn is one of my favorites. Are they fairly hardy? Also interested in bubble coral as a first one.

CoralRx is what I use. Add some to a small container of tank water. Dip the coral for 5 mins then put in tank. Discard dip solution.

I agree on frogspawn and hammer for favs. I think they're hardy.

Back
Top Bottom