Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2003, 09:48 AM   #1

How High are Your Tanks Nitrates

I am posting this to see how high your average Nitrate readings are.

I am interested more in reef keepers than just fish keepers however, all are welcome to post. The more the better.

3 questions:

1. How high are your average Nitrate readings?
2. If at or below .5 meg/L or .5 ppm, what do you have in place to keep it that low?

2 part question:

3. If higher than .5 meg/L or .5 ppm, do you plan to reduce it and if so, how do you plan to do so?
Old 04-26-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1. How high are your average Nitrate readings?
Does not read on a Salifert nitrate kit, using low range instructions.

Quote:
2. If at or below .5 meg/L or .5 ppm, what do you have in place to keep it that low?
I have 32lbs of LR (20g tank), a shallow sand bed (2"), a hob refugium with a 4" sandbed with about 2lbs of LR and a whole lot of halimeda (need to prune before I go to the LFS next time), a CPR bakpak 2R skimmer.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Unreadable on the coral prop tanks. DSB and about 40lbs of LR in two 20 longs. A Lee CC skimmer. Tanks are fed heavily.
On the 20 high, nitrates are about 10ppm. I have no idea why as this tank has a DSB in the tank and the sump. It has a venturi skimmer. It is not fed nearly as much as the others and has more flow. Since it isn't causing a problem, I hadn't really thought much about it.
Logan J
Old 04-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Our average used to be 5.0 ppm now it's between 0 and 2.5ppm
We use test kit Reef lab by Red Sea
Our setup includes 29 gallon with 30 pounds of LR and 40 pounds of Live Argaonite sand. We have a HOB CPR refugium with 2 pounds of live arganoite sand money plant macro algae. We also have Maiden's hair macro algae in the main tank. We have also developed a lot of coraline algae on the glass of the tank. The live rock is covered completley with coraline. We also have a CPR BakPak skimmer.

I really think what helped us with the nitrate is refugium and the macroalgae, noticed a big difference after that. We have a variety of soft corals, no hard corals.

We've tried cutting down how much we feed which has helped out big time on the red slime problem we had.

Oh and we also use RO/DI water.

Hope this helps.
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #5

Only 3 replys,, hmmm BUMP
Old 06-12-2003, 12:09 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
My average reading is zero. I have a seaclone skimmer. I have a 2" sandbed. three types of clarpa in the main tank. No mechanical filtration what so ever 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of lr per gallon.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

my Nitrates have been holding steady at about 20-25! I'm fighting this currently. The tank is a 55 gallong, right now it has apx 50-60 lbs LR ( I think) and about 3-4 inch bed of mixed CC and LS. I currently do not have a skimmer, sump or refugium.

If finances were a little better I would start with a Skimmer. What I'm trying to do now to keep the NA down is frequent 5 gallon water changes. about once a week. I also am planning on replacing some of the CC with regular southdown sand ( i finaly found _1_ bag at a home depot!) and would like to perhaps get a little more LR. I also have a HOB filter but I'm using that really for carbon and additional water movement. I have recently added to the HOB a De-Nitrate stone product.. I forget the brand name. Anyone know if these things are worth it?
Old 06-12-2003, 09:45 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Nitrates have never been detectable
I have about an inch of Crushed coral on the bottom of the tank, a 1000 lbs of LR in the tank, 200 more in the sump, A etss 1200 skimmer, and a halmedia field in the refugium. I also vacuum the substraight once a month ...or so..

Mike

www.reeffrontiers.com
mojoreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrates, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com