How high is to high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garrett706

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing my regular wc and testing and realized i hadn't checked the calcium level in my tank for about 3 weeks so when I tested it the test kit did not go up high enough... From looking at the readings on the test kit and just continuing to add more drops and keep counting I have a calcium level of 740.

I have a 46 gal reef tank and all my corals are happy as could be , the only thing I've noticed is that now I'm getting alot of white and purple spots on my glass , other then that everything is fine.

My ? Is that high of a calcium level a bad thing ( I am going to be adding fish in 2 weeks if everything is ok)

Retest, list type of test kit.... with the api test kit I once accidentally added drops from test bottle #1 thinking it was bottle #2 which threw my reading off.... I learned after adding drops from bottle #1 to put the bottle back into the box.....Do you add calcium? If i'm not mistaken with just water changes without adding calcium it should not be that high....

Retest, list type of test kit.... with the api test kit I once accidentally added drops from test bottle #1 thinking it was bottle #2 which threw my reading off.... I learned after adding drops from bottle #1 to put the bottle back into the box.....Do you add calcium? If i'm not mistaken with just water changes without adding calcium it should not be that high....

I've tested twice thinking I did mix up the bottles and got a consistent reading both times

The test was done with the API reef master kit

I was adding brightwells reef code A & B and i believe one is a buffer and the other calcium, I've stopped adding the calcium to see if it helps

The reef master calcium kit isn't very accurate. I wouldn't trust it. How are you dosing, if you didn't notice your calcium was raised up until now? Just adding daily and hoping for the best? IMO, that's not a good idea. Better off not adding anything than adding blindly.

The white and pink spots are probably calcareous algae, a good thing and sign that calcium levels are high enough for hard corals. High calcium isn't much to worry about IMO. I would be watching alkalinity though.

The reef master calcium kit isn't very accurate. I wouldn't trust it. How are you dosing, if you didn't notice your calcium was raised up until now? Just adding daily and hoping for the best? IMO, that's not a good idea. Better off not adding anything than adding blindly.

What test kit would you recommend if the reef master " isn't accurate". I dose every Wednesday and Sunday at 5-6 pm. I'm not adding blindly I test every Sunday but my lfs told me that api has recently started putting dates on their test kits and to check mine and throw them put if they dont because they have been having a lot of complaints of them being inaccurate , so the only one that had no date was the calcium and it was 3 weeks before i got around to getting a new one. my calcium level has always been in the high 500s and has gone up in the last three weeks. I'm just wondering if that high of a calcium level is a bad thing if I'm going to be adding fish in the near future ( haven't decided 100 percent on the fish yet)

The white and pink spots are probably calcareous algae, a good thing and sign that calcium levels are high enough for hard corals. High calcium isn't much to worry about IMO. I would be watching alkalinity though.

Thanks Greg I have been doing a lot of reading up on calcareous algae, do you think that the calcium level is to high for fish ?

I like Salifert or Elos. All the API calcium kits I used would say my level was over 500, but when I switched to the other brands, they would show I'm in the mid 300's. Good expiration dates or not.

Hey x or Greg, I know it's a little off topic but what are your opinions on a good brand of power heads. I have hydors in my tank now on a wave maker system and one just went out

I use hydors. Most of mine are the magnums. I have one that starts backwards every now and then. Love the magnetic mounts and they are inexpensive.

I would get a new koralia and get rid of the wavemaker unit. All they do is wear out your pumps prematurely. I also use Aqueon power heads, which I like very much, except for the fact that they use only a suction cup and no magnet. You would have to re-seat them on the glass every 6 months or so.
I also bought a Jebao wp40, which is not a bad unit so far. Pretty potent and a good magnet.

I would get a new koralia and get rid of the wavemaker unit. All they do is wear out your pumps prematurely. I also use Aqueon power heads, which I like very much, except for the fact that they use only a suction cup and no magnet. You would have to re-seat them on the glass every 6 months or so.
I also bought a Jebao wp40, which is not a bad unit so far. Pretty potent and a good magnet.

I've been looking into the Eco tech power heads with the motors outside the tank... Any thought on those?

I agree. Id love to own a couple mp40's but i dont want to pay 500 bucks for them lol.

Back
Top Bottom