Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Great information and demonstration. Thanks for posting!!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow I dided know I could give my fish Nori! I am a newbie and very new to this sight and just learning how to use it. So is there any reason not to give Nori to a salt water tank -- like don't if you have a _______?
Thank you

Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
You use Nori , or other packaged algae such seeweed selects generally to feed tangs or angelfish. Say if you have an yellow tang or a flame angelfish you ought to be puting some nori in there for them every other day. As for a reason not to put Nori in a saltwater tank, I dont know one, I dont know what it could determintal too.

Any I tried folding my seaweed selects that way last night, it worked out well !
JoshsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

If you don't have any herbivores in your tank to eat it then it will just become waste. Tangs, angels, blennies, etc. will devour the stuff.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Originally Posted by pitt420dude View Post
Very cool, I didn't even know what Nori was.
Nori is simply the seaweed used by Asian groceries to wrap around sushi. MUCH cheaper to buy Nori from Asian groceries than to buy commercial macro-algae, since its the same thing, food wise.
Of course, growing macro-algae yourself in refugiums to feed to your herbivores is the best choice.
Though tangs will happily eat meaty foods, it isn't good for them. Meaty foods are too rich for their systems, and in a few months of eating meaty foods the tang will suffer renal failure and die.
A tang's diet should be at LEAST 85 percent macro or green algae. It takes a LOT of food to keep a herbivore going, so they need the algae available to them 24/7/365, and replace it as soon as they eat most of it.
Trick is to put the macro algae in first, and get the Herbivores eating it, then feeding the meaty foods to the planktivores. If you put the collection of seaweed in the same place every time the Herbivores will quickly identify it as the place to go for food.

And you know, that you're over the hill, when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill . . .
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I want my next fish to be a Tang so this is great to know.
Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus
Just to clarify, tangs do primarily consume various benthic algaes in the wild, but will not perish in months time from consuming varied meat diets along with their regular assorted algae-fare. Also make sure the Nori is natural since some Asian markets coat them with preservatives. Another feeding strategy is to use or make a small lr (agrocrete, etc) with various holes and attachments where different foods can be hidden and wrapped (animal enrichment that blends in).
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been folding my piece of Nori in half. Well I tried the football fold trick and my Tang comes up to it, stares at it for a minute or two, slowly moves towards it, barely picked at it and took off around the tank. LOL. He is ok with it now but it was quite hilarius to see his reaction. Thanks for the good tip, before my Tang would pull right at the clip so the Nori would detach then chase it around the tank so this folding method helps alot..and yes, my Tang is weird.
MommaFishels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Yea, it took a few minutes for them to figure it out when I started doing ti this way. That's why I leave the open ends out, so the have a place to start picking. There are times that the suction cup is loose and either the tang or foxface will pull it off the glass and then I have to chasing it.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

feed, oto, photo

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com