How I feed Nori - with photo's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't seem to come up with a simple explantion of my nori folding so here it is is pictures.

I start by folding several sheets in half, first on one side, then the other to make a crease. I then tear the sheets along the crease so I end up a small pile of half sheets. I save these in the bag till I'm ready to one to the tank.

So now I have a half sheet which is a rectangle. I fold that in half making a sqare. .

Attachments

• Nori package.jpg
    Nori package.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 197
  • half-sheet.jpg
    half-sheet.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 1st fold.jpg
    1st fold.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 99
  • qtr shhet.jpg
    qtr shhet.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 93
Next I fold the square to make a triangle. Holding the point of the traingle I bring the oposite ends together to form a smaller triangle. This then goes into the clip on open side near the point of the triangle.

Or, you could just roll it up tightly and rubber band it to a rock. Either way hold the nori together much longer, keeping most of it from floating around the tank.

Attachments

• triangle fold.jpg
    triangle fold.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2nd triangle.jpg
    2nd triangle.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Nori in clip.jpg
    Nori in clip.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 97
  • nori attack.jpg
    nori attack.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 129
That's it? lol Where's the nori origami? Can't you at least make a cool fish or something? Anyone can make a nori thumb football.

I'm putting in a request for one of those oragami cranes. Always thought those were cool. haha. very nice looking tank. Thanks for sharing.

I am thinking a swan or maybe one of those little sail boats?

BTW...thanks for the pics. Nice job!

Nice job! What's the fish between the clown and foxface?

If I had only thought to describe it as a Nori thumb football I would have saved all that time taking the pictures :)

Someone else will have to make all the nice origami shapes. I never could get the hang of that.

Scott, that's my Sailfin tang turned sideways in the last photo.

Cool, thanks! I was not sure what it was. You have an awesome set up!

Wow I dided know I could give my fish Nori! I am a newbie and very new to this sight and just learning how to use it. So is there any reason not to give Nori to a salt water tank -- like don't if you have a _______?
Thank you
Betsy

You use Nori , or other packaged algae such seeweed selects generally to feed tangs or angelfish. Say if you have an yellow tang or a flame angelfish you ought to be puting some nori in there for them every other day. As for a reason not to put Nori in a saltwater tank, I dont know one, I dont know what it could determintal too.

Any I tried folding my seaweed selects that way last night, it worked out well !

If you don't have any herbivores in your tank to eat it then it will just become waste. Tangs, angels, blennies, etc. will devour the stuff.

Very cool, I didn't even know what Nori was.

Pitt,
Nori is simply the seaweed used by Asian groceries to wrap around sushi. MUCH cheaper to buy Nori from Asian groceries than to buy commercial macro-algae, since its the same thing, food wise.
Of course, growing macro-algae yourself in refugiums to feed to your herbivores is the best choice.
Though tangs will happily eat meaty foods, it isn't good for them. Meaty foods are too rich for their systems, and in a few months of eating meaty foods the tang will suffer renal failure and die.
A tang's diet should be at LEAST 85 percent macro or green algae. It takes a LOT of food to keep a herbivore going, so they need the algae available to them 24/7/365, and replace it as soon as they eat most of it.
Trick is to put the macro algae in first, and get the Herbivores eating it, then feeding the meaty foods to the planktivores. If you put the collection of seaweed in the same place every time the Herbivores will quickly identify it as the place to go for food.

Dave

Thanks,

I want my next fish to be a Tang so this is great to know.
Betsy

Just to clarify, tangs do primarily consume various benthic algaes in the wild, but will not perish in months time from consuming varied meat diets along with their regular assorted algae-fare. Also make sure the Nori is natural since some Asian markets coat them with preservatives. Another feeding strategy is to use or make a small lr (agrocrete, etc) with various holes and attachments where different foods can be hidden and wrapped (animal enrichment that blends in).

I have been folding my piece of Nori in half. Well I tried the football fold trick and my Tang comes up to it, stares at it for a minute or two, slowly moves towards it, barely picked at it and took off around the tank. LOL. He is ok with it now but it was quite hilarius to see his reaction. Thanks for the good tip, before my Tang would pull right at the clip so the Nori would detach then chase it around the tank so this folding method helps alot..and yes, my Tang is weird.

Yea, it took a few minutes for them to figure it out when I started doing ti this way. That's why I leave the open ends out, so the have a place to start picking. There are times that the suction cup is loose and either the tang or foxface will pull it off the glass and then I have to chasing it.

Back
Top Bottom