How i got rid of ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thought I'ld post a how to guide on getting rid of ICK. I've read that raising the tank temp to 85 degrees for 14 days works. I've also heard ICK attack works also. I've got ICK in my 55 gallon and only one damsel fish in there.

Well that's a bad guideline. Higher temps cure fw ich not marine ich. Ich attack is snake oil. Hyposalinity or copper . That's how you cure it.

The damsel died this morning so no fish in tank. If I empty the tank now and fill it with rodi fresh water and run it for acouple days would it clear up the ICK problem I'm having?

No you need to leave the tank with no fish in it for 8 weeks.There are tons of info about the parasites life cycle online. You should really start reading up on it so you get to know your enemy.

Ok so refill with RODI water and run it for 8 weeks. Then I should be good?

Just leave the tank as it is. Continue weekly pwcs for 8 weeks. Then make sure you qt all fish or it's just going to happen again

Well that's a bad guideline. Higher temps cure fw ich not marine ich. Ich attack is snake oil. Hyposalinity or copper . That's how you cure it.

I see so many people claiming Ick out, Ick safe, Ick rid and all the other snake oils cured their ick. Hypo and copper and the lesser known transfer method is it. There is no reef safe treatments. I feel bad for newbes that read that and lose an entire tank due to misinformation. Her is a link that gives in depth details about MI, its treatments and its myths. It is by a well know fish nutritionist, and disease expert, Leebca.

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

Thank you for that article. If I read it correctly I just need to run the tank the same way maybe lower the salinity for atleast 8 weeks and then quarintine all new fish so I don't introduce new MI. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to keep the tank empty for almost two months just to be on the safe side.

I also have a 90 gallon reef I've had for 10 months now. If I don't introduce any fish for a year would the MI disappear? I don't want to reduce the salinity because of the corals and the fish would be extremely hard to catch and quarintine.

Little confused on your set up. But if you are going to do hypo, there can be no corals, inverts in the tank. Any tank which has had MI introduced to it, will need to go fallow (fishless) for 8-12 weeks. There are different strains of MI and some are stronger than others. As far as hypo, fish only, put in some pvc piping for the fish to hide in. You will need a refractometer, swing arms are too inaccurate. Follorw Leebca's instructions, he is an expert on the subject. Your 90 will be fine after 2 or 3 months of being fishless. Make sure you have test kits on hand to keep a close watch on your water conditions (on hypo tank). It is a long drawn out process, some just say keep your tank stress free and live with it, that may work for some but I would prefer not to have it in my system. Bite the bullet now and quarantine in the future. Good Luck Also remember once in hypo, just because you don't see any spots doesn't mean it is gone, different stages, different degrees of visibility. Good luck

Rich, rereading your post, you have no fish left now, is that correct? If so then you do not need to do hypo, your just need to leave you tank fallow for 8-12 weeks, (the longer the better)MI need a host to continue to multiply, without a host (fish) it will got thru stages and become weaker and weaker in smaller and smaller numbers till it is gone.

Thank Holy wasn't 100% clear on that but yes my 55 is fish less and will be now for about two months.

My 90 probably has ICK but not sure. I had my sailfin show some grain like black spots at one point. It would be difficult to pull out all my fish in the 90 but maybe some time soon I will just to be sure theirs no ICK in my 90.

Thank you all for your help I appreciate the info.

In your 90, keep stable good water conditions, good food and a variety of foods. Sounds like you will be ok, don't rush it, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom