Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How i got rid of ick

Thought I'ld post a how to guide on getting rid of ICK. I've read that raising the tank temp to 85 degrees for 14 days works. I've also heard ICK attack works also. I've got ICK in my 55 gallon and only one damsel fish in there.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well that's a bad guideline. Higher temps cure fw ich not marine ich. Ich attack is snake oil. Hyposalinity or copper . That's how you cure it.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ditto Honda, only two for sure cures
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The damsel died this morning so no fish in tank. If I empty the tank now and fill it with rodi fresh water and run it for acouple days would it clear up the ICK problem I'm having?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No you need to leave the tank with no fish in it for 8 weeks.There are tons of info about the parasites life cycle online. You should really start reading up on it so you get to know your enemy.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so refill with RODI water and run it for 8 weeks. Then I should be good?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just leave the tank as it is. Continue weekly pwcs for 8 weeks. Then make sure you qt all fish or it's just going to happen again
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Well that's a bad guideline. Higher temps cure fw ich not marine ich. Ich attack is snake oil. Hyposalinity or copper . That's how you cure it.
I see so many people claiming Ick out, Ick safe, Ick rid and all the other snake oils cured their ick. Hypo and copper and the lesser known transfer method is it. There is no reef safe treatments. I feel bad for newbes that read that and lose an entire tank due to misinformation. Her is a link that gives in depth details about MI, its treatments and its myths. It is by a well know fish nutritionist, and disease expert, Leebca.

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you for that article. If I read it correctly I just need to run the tank the same way maybe lower the salinity for atleast 8 weeks and then quarintine all new fish so I don't introduce new MI. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to keep the tank empty for almost two months just to be on the safe side.

I also have a 90 gallon reef I've had for 10 months now. If I don't introduce any fish for a year would the MI disappear? I don't want to reduce the salinity because of the corals and the fish would be extremely hard to catch and quarintine.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Little confused on your set up. But if you are going to do hypo, there can be no corals, inverts in the tank. Any tank which has had MI introduced to it, will need to go fallow (fishless) for 8-12 weeks. There are different strains of MI and some are stronger than others. As far as hypo, fish only, put in some pvc piping for the fish to hide in. You will need a refractometer, swing arms are too inaccurate. Follorw Leebca's instructions, he is an expert on the subject. Your 90 will be fine after 2 or 3 months of being fishless. Make sure you have test kits on hand to keep a close watch on your water conditions (on hypo tank). It is a long drawn out process, some just say keep your tank stress free and live with it, that may work for some but I would prefer not to have it in my system. Bite the bullet now and quarantine in the future. Good Luck Also remember once in hypo, just because you don't see any spots doesn't mean it is gone, different stages, different degrees of visibility. Good luck

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com