How in the world do y'all get leathers to glue??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a leather frag that I can't get to glue to save my life.. I've tried everything. A ton of glue, a little bit of glue, putting it in a cup with holes drilled in it so there's practically zero flow, etc. So the last attempt I glued it to the rock, and then loosely tied dental floss around it through the "V", then put it in the cup. Still to no avail. So now it's just hanging on by the floss, the glue has not worked yet again.. So how in the world do y'all do it??

ForumRunner_20121204_151653.jpg

ForumRunner_20121204_151609.jpg

Thanks
Cole

Glue doesn't work on softies (leathers, mushrooms, etc)..... tie it to the rock and it will attach itself after a week or two.

I like dental floss better....... tie it snug enough to keep it from blowing off, but not tight enough to cut the coral. For mine, I'll tie it to a rock and then place it in a shallow tupperware with mesh covering. Keeps it protected from critters & direct current, and contains it in case it comes loose.
For mushrooms, I'll use the same type of container, but put a handful of rubble rock in the bottom, and then just drop the mushroom in & cover.... it will find a rock to attach to on it's own.

I like dental floss better....... tie it snug enough to keep it from blowing off, but not tight enough to cut the coral. For mine, I'll tie it to a rock and then place it in a shallow tupperware with mesh covering. Keeps it protected from critters & direct current, and contains it in case it comes loose.
For mushrooms, I'll use the same type of container, but put a handful of rubble rock in the bottom, and then just drop the mushroom in & cover.... it will find a rock to attach to on it's own.

Okay, well that's what im doing now, I've always glued my mushrooms though.. Weird. Thanks!!

Okay, well that's what im doing now, I've always glued my mushrooms though.. Weird. Thanks!!

I tried gluing a mushroom once.... The slime coating they produce when stressed prevented the glue from working & the poor little guy wound up aimlessly blowing around the tank for a week before I could catch him :lol:

I had the same problem I final used a needle and fishing line tied it to a rock and it's doing well.

That looks good just make sure the leather has room to expand. Found out the hard way with my toadstool and rubberbands.

I always use kitchen twine tied just tight enough to keep my frags on the rock. It doesn't cut through them like floss or rubber bands. It is easy to remove when they attach themselves.

I always use kitchen twine tied just tight enough to keep my frags on the rock. It doesn't cut through them like floss or rubber bands. It is easy to remove when they attach themselves.

Thanks for the advice, I hope i'm not cutting though it, pretty sure i'm not. It's doing a lot better now, looking like it may be starting to attach now, hopefully haha

ForumRunner_20121207_225527.jpg

Back
Top Bottom