How is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djrusselljoseph

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a 10g (practice tank) running for the last 7 months.

How is it that all my levels for PH, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia are at 0, SG within decent levels at 1.023, temp at 78.2.....

WITHOUT ANY WATER CHANGES.

EVER.

I have 3 fish in the tank now, all getting along (and I know, too many fish for the tank), a bunch of snails, corals, live rock, sand bed, and a Eheim Liberty filter.

Could be several reasons but one thing I would caution and esp. on a small tank like that is that the clock is ticking. When you dont do PWC`s your tank will look like it`s doing pretty good when in reality things are building up for a big crash. Seen it happen many times. I just dont want you to be posting a "why is my tank dead" thread later on. The avid aquarist doesnt wait to see what happens. He is proactive and does the proper maint. to the tank to protect the tankmates that are under his control. Be proactive for their sakes if not yours.

Noted.
I have had a ton of luck with with everything thus far, I would hate to lose the whole thing.
Thanks for the feedback and kick in the arse!

I`m not kicking anyone. Just wanted to point a few areas to watch out for. Continued good luck with your tank.

Nitrates and phosphates could be at zero because algae is consuming it as soon as it's made. I'm assuming you've got algae. Nitrites and Ammonia *should* be zero if it's a cycled tank, and after 7 months, if it wasn't to start with it should be now. I'm guessing your pH is probably low (pretty sure it's not zero like you say! ;)), and your alkalinity is really low.

Like Mike said, doing do water changes in 7 months really isn't good "practice" for a bigger tank. If you're keeping corals in there, there are a lot of things in that water that need replenishing that you can't test for. Also... if you're keeping corals, shoot for 1.025-1.026.

Thank for that Kurt_Nelson!
Algae, yes. A bit on the left side wall of the tank, a bit on the other, but not that much.
Lol...yeah, pH is 7.8.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom