How long between adding additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean57

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a nano 28g bio. It's been running about a month. Started with live sand and have 25 lbs live rock ( was cured rock). I added bacteria in the start and let go two weeks. Did a water change and waited one week. Water levels looked good and got two clowns, two hermits, four snails.
a week later everything looks good and everybody happy, coraline algea exploding. My real question here is how long should I wait before adding more to the tank? ( more snails, hermits, or coral frags). Thanks for any advice........

Low bioload items like you mentioned can be added any time. Fish adds should be 3-4 weeks apart.

If this is your first tank go very slow on any coral additions until you have proven tank stability for several months.

This is first tank, should I wait a couple of months before doing anything else? Would that be the wise thing to do?

Also wonder if the uv sterilizer it a good investment or even needed for a tank this size? And how does it affect the good bacteria?

Shaun

A UV sterilizer won't effect the good bacteria in the tank. I have never used one and i don't think they are worth the cost on reef tanks. Invest the money you would have spent on a UV to buy a small QT tank and it will ensure you don't have problems far better than a UV sterilizer.

As for how long before adding more fish. I would wait until around the 2 month mark to add more fish. Take your time with fish. Especailly in a tank that size because you can't add all that many. Spend some time to research a fish you will really enjoy and then watch for it in stores to find a really nice looking fish. This will also give your tank plenty of time to settle in.

You can keep your self busy by adding some small coral frags since they don't really add much to the biolaod. You will probably be pre-occupied anyway by dealing with the new tank swings. Expect some cyano, diatom, and algae blooms in the first 6 months or so.

Yeah pat8u
I have a green hair algea problem starting now on my snails last two or three days just a couple of strands each any sugestions? Had diotom bloom like two weeks ago but haven't seen again......

The moment you see hair algea get in there and pull it out your self. Then take an old tooth brush to what ever rock/snail/anything it was on. There are a few select inverts or fish that eat hair algae but most of them are a hit or miss solution. I've found the best way is just to do it your self at the first sign before it spreads and becomes a real problem. Do your best to keep up on water changes and the tank will settle in soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom