How long can corals last with low light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK ...

Here is my problem, The 12 gallon Nano is battling some cyano now and I have tried every thing possible to get rid of them short of chemicals! I want to take my corals from the bad conditions in the Nano and put them in my 29 gallon, BUT my lights won't be here until next Wed. 4/12.

Am I taking a risk of putting some corals in the low light conditions? I guess it can be no worse than leaving them in the tank with cyano .. I've noticed the cyano creeping closer and closer to some of the corals! I've got to break this Nano down move the tank away from the window and start over.

What I have ...

Red Open Brain
3 head of Candy Cane
1 Florida Ricordia shroom
2 small Blastomussa heads
1 nice size colony of Zoa's
small patch of GSP
Pulsing Xenia

I already moved the Xenia and GSP, the xenia because they BOOMED in the Nano and started getting real big! They are doing good so far. and the GSP because they were looking real bad in the Nano and now seem to be doing better in the 29.

Oh and right now ... I only have NO bulbs right now, 2x18watt!

Lights out for one week and siphon as much of the cyano off as you can everyday while you do 20% PWCS should get rid of it. It worked for me.

well ...... I'm not to concerned about the nano really. I'm tearing it down to move it anyway. What I'm more concerned about is all the corals in my 29 with low light for the next 5 days?

steve-s would probably be the best one to answer this question.

I’m not a coral expert but I do know that most corals will do fine for 5 days in low light or even no light. (think about storm days when no lighting gets through) All of your corals are medium light corals so if your lights don’t show up for 7+ days then I’d worry about it IMO.

That's what I was thinkin as well. What would they do if I cut light to reduce an algea problem in the tank like DragonForce recomends? I think they'll be fine for the 5 days getting at least a little light.

steve-s??? any input ....

Expert?

The corals you list above would be just fine for that short a term. Some may darken a bit and the Xenia will strech out but nothing will suffer.

The main concern is when you get the new light on/installed instead of the NO's, don't blast them right from the get go. What does the new light consist of?

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Well as close as anyone could be :p I’m always amazed at your encyclopedic mind when it comes to corals/inverts and their health/needs.

Jermz79 said:
New light consists of 2 65 watt PC bulbs.
What are the hood dimensions and are you using the mounting legs? What is the length/depth of the tank?

In any event, be sure the coral are not placed any higher than ½ way up and a majority of the LPS start off on the substrate when the new lights are added. I would run the actinic/one bulb the normal duration of the photoperiod and the other 3-4 hours the first week. After that, increase the second bulb time by ½ hr every 3-4 days until back up to a full photoperiod.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom