How long does it take for an ammonia spike to happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up my new tank a few days ago with live rock from my established old tank and some from a friends established tank. I've been ghost feeding since then and haven't seen any ammonia. When will this happen or will I not see a spike as my live rock is already established? When I transported the rock from my friends tank it was all kept underwater the whole way and the temperature didn't fall to low at all because he lives nearby so will I not get a lot of die off from the rock?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So my tank instantly cycled? Would that mean in theory I could start adding fish and other stuff now? I'll still wait a week or two so I don't take any risks

It is all rock that went through cycles from running tanks. The bacteria is there and livestock could be moved in.

Nice! I'll try a cleaner shrimp and a couple of hermits and see if anything happens.

I personally would add a fish now, and give the bacteria that is already established something to consume and maintain itself in the system.

A cleaner shrimp isnt something i would add until the aquarium has been running with fish for at least a few weeks. They can die fairly easily so you dont want to expose them to any potential spikes.

The cleaner shrimp seems to be doing fantastic and my ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and I have low nitrates. I've kept ghost feeding as I can't get a fish until next week and there seems to be no ammonia whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom