Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I desperately want to get one of the ORA Mandarins but LFS around have an open account with them and they wont sell to me directly. So I'm just gonna go old school and look for the healthiest most active one I can find and start from there. But I wish I could get one of those ORA Dragonets.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a place that will order me an ORA, but at a cost of 80 bucks. I have heard enough stories of them reverting back to pods, so I don't want to chance it.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21
I have a place that will order me an ORA, but at a cost of 80 bucks. I have heard enough stories of them reverting back to pods, so I don't want to chance it.
Yeah I figured if I did find a place near me they would tack on a hefty amount of cash. Like I said it's look'n like I'm gonna have to go old school. But it would be nice to have the ORA option and it would be nice if they didn't hot you so hard in the wallet either.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

2 months so far for me, it is my first try at one *fingers crosses* I just made sure I could see a good pod population before I got him. Wait over a year for the tank to mature before purchasing one.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea my tank has Ben up nearly. 6 years n still can't keep em
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mine has been up for 18 years. There are millions of pods...yet I still have had issues with longevity with Mandarines. I love them too...it is why I won't kill anymore of them until I understand the issues.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I have my second now and it's going great! I have one in my 125, a good 18 months and still very healthy. Also added one a month ago in my wife's 29g bio and it seems very happy and healthy!

I have always hand fed mine vitamin soaked live brine and I also dose pods regularly for variety. I feed both through a large syringe. Both mandarins have there spots in the tank were they now wait for food as soon as the syringe enters thank. They also both pick through the rocks throughout the day in search of pods.

Also I have actually heard of people here locally to me in FL having luck getting mandarins to ear pellets.

I would have to agree with some of the others on the thought that Mandarins aren't hard to keep just most tend to starve.

Hope everything works out better for you in this attempt Gregcoyote!

Anyone else trying live brine?

Dave
Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I gotta ask, what is the sudden fascination with mandarins and scooters this last week or so? Everyone is either getting one or planning on it.

I guess this happens in spurts on this board but i was curious. lol I got my scooter totally by accident but there are people who have been buying and hoping for the best. I just don't get it I guess.....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have been plan'n for a while and a few weeks ago I was surf'n the web about them and this site came up and the rest is history. Like I said when I first got on here, I failed at it 2 seperate times and I just want all the advatages of the knowledge that I got from the internet and from chat'n with you guys on here at my disposal for when I take my next shot.

I honestly dont find it too sirprising cuz it's an eye catch'n fish and also I find all the naysayers and anegativeaty about how you can never be able to keep one for a sustained amount of time kinda challenging. I feel that I'm very passionate about this hobby and I want to be able to do what they say can't be done (within reason of course). But it just comes down to I really like the fish and want one to thrive in my little fish community. And with all the knowledge on this site I feel it gives me the best shot at achieve'n that.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I gotta ask, what is the sudden fascination with mandarins and scooters this last week or so? Everyone is either getting one or planning on it.

I guess this happens in spurts on this board but i was curious. lol I got my scooter totally by accident but there are people who have been buying and hoping for the best. I just don't get it I guess.....

Lol it's probably from all the talk in your thread, got people who read it thinking about them and then it was put in their threads too, then it just spread like wildfire since they are such awesome fish.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, long, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com