How long is it safe to keep SG at 1.009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just as the title says :D I know a minimum of 4 weeks is suggested, but how long will the fish be safe at this SG?

What type of disease are you carrying out the hypo for?

While I am not sure how long fish can survive in hypo, the purposes are carrying out hypo for disease treatment should not effect the overall lifespan of the fish.

Biggen said:
What type of disease are you carrying out the hypo for?

The first reason was a white fuzzy cotton like supstance then ick. That cleared up in a few weeks but then the yellow tang had red errosion marks from a low pH so I treated with medicine after daily 20% water changes didn't clear it up. Now after a week in flordia he has big white bumps on his sides. I have no idea what they are but he's still swimming/eating normal. This fish is a mess, I just can't seem to get him better :cry:

If the red streaks are still there after all this time I would treat the fish with an antibiotic. Maracyn II at double the dose for 7 days or nitrofurazone if the fish can go in the display immediately following treatment. A one time dose @ 30mg/gal for 3 days.

Cheers
Steve

Well the red streaks did go away after my first treatment of Furacyn but I kind of messed up the dosage not realizing it had to be doubled for marine until the third treatment day. After treatment the red spots went away only to come back a week or so later. I dosed again following the correct dosage then left for florida for a week. Upon return the fish now has weird lumps on him about the size of a pencil tip. He has been eating great and acting normal throughout all of this. By the way the pH/trates/trites/ammonia/SG have not been fluctuating from the norms at all. I guess I'll keep up with the water changes and try the antibiotics you recommended.

Why did you suggest to use nitrofurazone if the fish can go in the display immediately following treatment?

jamal-188 said:
I guess I'll keep up with the water changes and try the antibiotics you recommended.
Furacyn and nitrofurazone are the same thing :wink:

Why did you suggest to use nitrofurazone if the fish can go in the display immediately following treatment?
You should not do a water change when using nitrofurazone. It will destroy the bio filter and having a fish recover from a bacterial problem only to succum to ammonia poisoning would be a bummer. With Maracyn II you can still do the water changes you just need to medicate any new SW used.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom