Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-20-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to smooth_rivers
How long? Moving to LR from fish only

55 gal
2 fluval 404 (bio media and carbon removed, just pads and polishing pads)
1 Remora Pro HOB skimmer with overflow box
3 penguin 660 powerheads

Over the last month I've added 10-15 lbs of LR a week, and now have
what I estimate to be 60 lbs of rock. Around 40 of is real good used stuff from someone who tore down his reef, lots of coraline, and what look like
purple feather dusters or some kind of polyp growing from it, some green and red mushrooms, red polyps and purple polyps with white centers. Also have 4 inches of sand.

Fish load is very light, 2 percula clowns, 1 bi-color, 1 coral beauty.
About 10 snails and 10 small hermits.

Don't have the money for a true sump yet, but figure I can use the fluvals for current and oxygenation. Question is, I know there is a bacteria load in the fluvals, and the sleeves of the power heads. But should I remove them and the filter pads from the fluvals, like 1 item a week and let the rock take care of it, or leave it as is. I know the 660's need replaced, but can do that one at a time.

many thanks

"Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence."
smooth_rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would, just to be on the safe side, remove the media in increments. I think about 4-5 days apart would be enough. I'd check for ammonia/nitrite every day also. This is probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. I strongly recommend using MaxiJet PH's when you replace the Penguins. I would also try to get another 20-25 lbs of rock in there...even if it's dry base rock. Sounds like you are on the right track here and have thought this out carefully. Got pics ?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

fish only, long, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com