how long should i wait to add a tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been cycled for about 2 weeks now and i plan on getting 2 smaller ocellaris clowns in about a week. Right now i have a small clean up crew... 9 hermits, 5 cerith snails and a skunk cleaner shrimp... I plan on getting another 1-2 cleaner shrimp and about 10 or so more snails along with my 2 tank bred ocellaris. How long after i add the 2 clowns should i wait to add a tang? I doubt i could add a juvi with the clowns to save shipping costs... but is it possible? I know they are stressed easier than some of the hardier fish. i was thinking either an atlantic blue or a kole.

BTW... i have a 75g with 1/2 fully cured liverock, and 1/2 lace rock (~60lbs or so) i will soon be adding more lace rock from a local guy that has good stuff. He specializes in LR and corals. (free plug for anyone in central Ohio http://www.reefsystems.com/) I also have a nice sump with a good skimmer. Any type of advise is appreciated...

BTW
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 5ppm
calc - 480
dKH - 10.8
phosphate - cant tell a diff between .25 and 0

A kole is a good choice for a 75, atlantic blue I would not go with in a 75. If I were you, I would not have a tang shipped. I would wait for the LFS to get a healthy specimen, watch it eat, watch its behavior, and make sure you get the best specimen possible. That is the key to marine fishes to me, esecially less hardy fish, is make sure you start with a healthy fish, and it makes life much easier.

Keep the clowns for 2-4 weeks and see how they do, then move on to the next fish. There is no harm in a tang then, just make sure you get a healthy one!

good to note. the lfs around me are a little weird sometime their fish look amazing and sometimes they looks like they have been through hell. I think i may go with the atlantic blue because i think its a prettier fish, and i might be upgrading to a 125 in a year or so.

I agree. Adding too many fish too fast in a newly cycled tank can cause long-term issues. Add the clowns and wait a few weeks, checking water parameters often, before adding any additional fish.

IMO a yellow tang or a yellow eyed kole tang would be the best for a 75 gallon tank. Most other tangs need plenty of length for swimming room. The 125 would be good as your tank will be 6 feet. LA says about the atlantic blue tang "A 100 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room. It is aggressive towards other Tangs and Surgeonfish, but peaceful with other fish."

Back
Top Bottom