Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
how long should i wait to add a tang?

My tank has been cycled for about 2 weeks now and i plan on getting 2 smaller ocellaris clowns in about a week. Right now i have a small clean up crew... 9 hermits, 5 cerith snails and a skunk cleaner shrimp... I plan on getting another 1-2 cleaner shrimp and about 10 or so more snails along with my 2 tank bred ocellaris. How long after i add the 2 clowns should i wait to add a tang? I doubt i could add a juvi with the clowns to save shipping costs... but is it possible? I know they are stressed easier than some of the hardier fish. i was thinking either an atlantic blue or a kole.

BTW... i have a 75g with 1/2 fully cured liverock, and 1/2 lace rock (~60lbs or so) i will soon be adding more lace rock from a local guy that has good stuff. He specializes in LR and corals. (free plug for anyone in central Ohio http://www.reefsystems.com/) I also have a nice sump with a good skimmer. Any type of advise is appreciated...

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 5ppm
calc - 480
dKH - 10.8
phosphate - cant tell a diff between .25 and 0

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
A kole is a good choice for a 75, atlantic blue I would not go with in a 75. If I were you, I would not have a tang shipped. I would wait for the LFS to get a healthy specimen, watch it eat, watch its behavior, and make sure you get the best specimen possible. That is the key to marine fishes to me, esecially less hardy fish, is make sure you start with a healthy fish, and it makes life much easier.

Keep the clowns for 2-4 weeks and see how they do, then move on to the next fish. There is no harm in a tang then, just make sure you get a healthy one!

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
good to note. the lfs around me are a little weird sometime their fish look amazing and sometimes they looks like they have been through hell. I think i may go with the atlantic blue because i think its a prettier fish, and i might be upgrading to a 125 in a year or so.
Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree. Adding too many fish too fast in a newly cycled tank can cause long-term issues. Add the clowns and wait a few weeks, checking water parameters often, before adding any additional fish.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
IMO a yellow tang or a yellow eyed kole tang would be the best for a 75 gallon tank. Most other tangs need plenty of length for swimming room. The 125 would be good as your tank will be 6 feet. LA says about the atlantic blue tang "A 100 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room. It is aggressive towards other Tangs and Surgeonfish, but peaceful with other fish."
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

long, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com