How long should lights be on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstuff45

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I just got a new light system with a built in timer and I'd like to know how long I should have the lights on. It has a white light a blue light and a night light. Which ones and for how long should I keep on?

I do 11 hours. I have the actinics (blues) come on at 11:30am, then the rest come on at 12:30pm, then the whites go off at 9:30pm, and the blues off at 10:30pm.

You can structure it around the viewing time of when you'll be home from work. The fish/coral don't mind.

If its just fish it doesn't matter its whatever you like. If you have corals 9 to 11 hours as suggested

Hi. I just got a new light system with a built in timer and I'd like to know how long I should have the lights on. It has a white light a blue light and a night light. Which ones and for how long should I keep on?

Photosynthesis takes 6 hours so if you have photosynthetic coral than 6 hours minimum i have sps tank actinics run 10 hours whites run 6 hours

Back
Top Bottom