How long to acclimate corals to light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I have no clue what the zoas are. There are so many different ones. I'm just going to get like five more frags with all kinds of colors and let them go.

So this is what I got from the light manufacturer:

measured at center point

1ft 444 par
2ft 196 par
3ft 102 par

The bottom of My fixture is 5" above the top of the tank so that's 7" into the tank is above 400 and probably another 2" or so is at 400.

So can I think of corals light req's in terms of par?
Not with LEDs. PAR meters do not get an accurate reading with them. I noticed that a lot less PAR can be sufficient. I think it might be because they penetrate so well. Not sure though.

Be careful with placement of galaxea. They can have very long sweeper tentacles. I have seen mine with 6-8" once in a while.

Here's the Galaxea. I have it placed in the corner where it's tentacles will go downstream into the glass and not near any corals or fish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390587906.867321.jpg

Sorry, not much of a photographer

Perfect! That's how I have mine as well. Using flow pattern to keep tentacles away from other corals.

Not with LEDs. PAR meters do not get an accurate reading with them. I noticed that a lot less PAR can be sufficient. I think it might be because they penetrate so well. Not sure though.

I have seen this with PAR meters and LEDs. I think the way LEDs are frequency specific can throw the meter off. Just shows you have to be conservative with HP LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom