How long with Kent dKh buffer....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosseg

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long until you see a change? Two doses so far and zero change in either dKh or pH.

The change out to be pretty much instant. What are you trying to accomplish?

My alk was only about 142ppm in my reef tank, ive doses for two days now and zero change in alk or pH. Why could this be?

Possibly because you have not dosed enough?

Rather than a liquid dosing solution have you considering doing a 2 part dosing system using powder you mix yourself? It is a lot cheaper in the long run (the liquid kits are basically paying for water) and if you are having to dose Alk, you probably have a need to dose Ca as well.

My ca has always been stable, I bought this on a suggestion so id like for it to work. I worked out the proportion and 7 mL in 29 gallon is roughly the dose. I don't understand why it's not working :/

Rosseg said:
My ca has always been stable, I bought this on a suggestion so id like for it to work. I worked out the proportion and 7 mL in 29 gallon is roughly the dose. I don't understand why it's not working :/

Do you know your daily consumption rate from testing for it? You might not be seeing a change because the amount you are dosing is only holding it at the current levels due to the tank consuming the amount your adding.

What is your target alk?

7mL of this product doesn't seem like much at all. I think you are supposed to dose like 10 a day until your target is reached. It could take a week of dosing to get to the target depending on what the target is.

It's 10 mL daily per 40 gallons, I have a 29, so it's 7.25 daily. I don't know how to measure my daily usage, but I measured for the 3 days prior to dosing as well (without water change) and it was a steady 142ppm as well. Idk what the heck is goin on

Unless they forgot to add carbonates to your batch of kent, it will just take some time before you notice a rise. It is possible that you were bottoming out on alk, and now with dosing 7.25 mL a day, you are just keeping up with consumption. I see no reason why you couldn't dose a bit more of it and see what happens.

Ultimately, this isn't a product you can use once and expect things to remain balanced. If your tank is consuming carbonates, your alk will drop daily unless you supplement it daily.

What's your coral stock like? Heavily stocked with skeleton producing corals? (lps and sps)... You may not need to dose.

Rosseg said:
My alk was only about 142ppm in my reef tank, ive doses for two days now and zero change in alk or pH. Why could this be?

Check magnesium low magnesium will not allow alk to stabalize

Back
Top Bottom