How long without protein skimmer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
My HOB protein skimmer has a leak so I had to take it down. How long can I go without one?
My setup is:
30g FOWLR
10g refugium with chaeto, deep sand bed, 4 mangroves
Green killing machine uv sterilizer 5W
Water circulates between DT and refugium at 400gph (estimated) maybe less
Live stock:
2 clowns
brittle starfish
Cleaner skunk shrimp
2 peppermint shrimps
Around 10 hermits and 10 nerite snails

I can't fix this one until Sunday. I guess it will be OK without protein skimmer for 3 days!?!?

Thanks.

I hope you'll be fine cause Im screwed if you're not

I've got a 29 with similar stock and I've never had a skimmer

Yes u guys will be fine .just check your water parameters on a regular basis and you will be ok....

I have a bio cube 29 gallon and do not use a skimmer and my parameters are fine. I do 5 gallon weekly water changes.

You'll be just fine...

Especially on a tank of that size. It's much easier to change more water and do more frequent t changes to keep params in check.

Thank you all for reassuring me. I can't really spend $200 for new skimmer so I will try to fix this one.

Other than aerating water, there abilities are questionable. Your fine without one.

Ice Man said:
My HOB protein skimmer has a leak so I had to take it down. How long can I go without one?
My setup is:
30g FOWLR
Live stock:
2 clowns
brittle starfish
Cleaner skunk shrimp
2 peppermint shrimps

I can't fix this one until Sunday. I guess it will be OK without protein skimmer for 3 days!?!?

Thanks.

You can go without skimmer for years if not heavily stocked or overstocked

Ice Man said:
My setup is:
30g FOWLR
Live stock:
2 clowns
brittle starfish
Cleaner skunk shrimp
2 peppermint shrimps

Thanks.

But they do help keep water quality good id especially reccommend one for bigger tanks and heavily stocked tanks or even tanks with delicate coral

Bige said:
Other than aerating water, there abilities are questionable. Your fine without one.

They're proven to be a huge help to thousands of aquarist worldwide. No question about it. That doesn't mean they're necessary on small tanks. I've always under-skimmed on all my tanks with fine results and even had a 10 without a skimmer for years.

Yeah, for a 30g FOWLR, you probably don't really need a skimmer. I have one on my 55g reef, but not on my 30g FOWLR. Water is fine in the 30 without it.

Back
Top Bottom