Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How loud are pistol shrimp?

I picked up a Randall's Pistol Shrimp today, he's tiny...I mean very tiny. Not even half an inch. As expected, soon after dropping him in, he burrowed under a rock and disappeared. I picked up a Randall's shrimp goby to go along with him as well, who also hid right away. Figure it'll take a while before they get a little more comfortable.

Anyway, how loud should I expect the snapping sounds to be from a tiny shrimp that sized? I know that tiger pistols can be aggressive, and get fairly large, hence making very loud popping sounds.

Anyone have experience with a Randall's?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice pic !!!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That is a nice pic. Mine, I can hear over the TV (or at least the two side speakers I have). Mine is a little bigger than that. Meaning, you won't have to worry about asking, "Is my pistol still alive" after you see a molt stuck on your Ph.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine is VERY loud as well. It is amazing just how crystal clear the "pop" is coming from my tank.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Wink

Where the heck did you get your Pistol Shrimp from?!
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
I'm thinking about getting one for my nano and then moving it to the display. Sound good? And I know they can be tiny but how big can they get?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I believe most of the hobby "grade" pistols may get to about 2-3 inches. At least from what I have seen.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Where the heck did you get your Pistol Shrimp from?!
After a lot of research and talking to various LFS's, I decided that the common tiger pistol is simply too dangerous to keep with my hermits and blood shrimp. I learned that the Randall's pistol will only grow to around 1", and take many years to achieve that length. Some literature online says he'll only grow 0.5", he'a also peaceful in comparison to other pistols. Randall's shrimp will try to run away before using his pistol. I also learned that they almost always successfully pair with their natural goby, the Randall's Goby, which coincidentally is also very nice looking.

I called all my local LFS's and it turns out one of them just got a pistol in, and a few of the Randall's goby's as well. Felt like a bit of a dink paying $40 for a shrimp that's the size of a grain of rice. The goby was $20 which I think is an okay price, but I have yet to see him since I dropped him in the aquarium.

I *think* I heard the pistol last night, a light snapping sound... sounded like a spark or electrical short coming from the aquarium.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Toronto View Post
After a lot of research and talking to various LFS's, I decided that the common tiger pistol is simply too dangerous to keep with my hermits and blood shrimp. I learned that the Randall's pistol will only grow to around 1", and take many years to achieve that length. Some literature online says he'll only grow 0.5", he'a also peaceful in comparison to other pistols. Randall's shrimp will try to run away before using his pistol. I also learned that they almost always successfully pair with their natural goby, the Randall's Goby, which coincidentally is also very nice looking.

I called all my local LFS's and it turns out one of them just got a pistol in, and a few of the Randall's goby's as well. Felt like a bit of a dink paying $40 for a shrimp that's the size of a grain of rice. The goby was $20 which I think is an okay price, but I have yet to see him since I dropped him in the aquarium.

I *think* I heard the pistol last night, a light snapping sound... sounded like a spark or electrical short coming from the aquarium.
Nice good Pick Up I have been looking for weeks to find one none of my LFS have them and I've been told to keep waiting because they normally get them in. Sound like the Randall Pistol sound interesting I have a Blue Spotted Gobie so I am just looking for that perfect pair. I am looking for the Tiger Pistol Shrimp I have a few Hermits but I really don't care to much for them being in there I would like to take them back to my LFS for credit if I can.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I have 3 or 4 hermits in my tank, and the pistol doesn't bother them. In fact, I think they occasionally wander down his burrow and he lets them know they are not welcome.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
loud, pistol, pistol shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com