Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
How loud is your whole system?

I was planning on putting the new tank in my bedroom. The tank is probably going to be a 72g bow front. I was concerned of the total noise level with a full setup; eg. powerheads, overflow, sump, skimmer, pump, etc...

The equipment will most likely be stored in a enclosed tank stand underneath the tank itself.

Please describe, as best as you can, the loudness of you setup.

I was worried if it would be soo loud that it would keep me from sleeping at night. (I can stand the sound of a small air pump and HOB filter)

TygGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
The only loudish noise I get is from the air intake on the skimmer, it's a Prizm and they are known for the noise.. But you do get used to it eventually, or you can always reduce the flow or even switch it off while you sleep.

Nothing else makes any noticeable noise, but I do leave my computer on 24/7 so this may be the reason I can't hear any small sounds.

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I had an HOB overflow that was loud on my small tank. I tried different standpipes and nver could get it quieted. My main tank uses a Durso and it is quiet. When I had the sump under the tank, the Mag7 and Mag5 gave the room a nice hum.

Evaporation can cause running water sounds in the sump if you have a skimmer in there too.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

loud, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com