How manh banggai cardinals in a 37g reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i have a 37g reef tank and wanted to get some banggai carinals for it as schooling fish,my stock is:
1 valentini puffer
1 emerald crab
1 decorator crab
5 red legged hermit crabs
1 sally lightfoot

Corals:
1 torch
4 brains

Well says 30 gal min for one but say if can find pair should be ok for few yrs till they grow full size. They are hard fish to get to school in tanks as males will kill each other when start turning to adults, some people had luck with getting same batch of tank bread ones to school but I have only seen 3 adults in same tank.

Hi, i have a 37g reef tank and wanted to get some banggai carinals for it as schooling fish,my stock is:
1 valentini puffer
1 emerald crab
1 decorator crab
5 red legged hermit crabs
1 sally lightfoot

Corals:
1 torch
4 brains

Be careful with your Valentini puffer fish, very toxic. If it happens to get stressed to new additions into you tank can release toxins and kill everything. If it dies take out ASAP

Other than that, you can add a bunch of cardinals with out being overstocked

Well says 30 gal min for one but say if can find pair should be ok for few yrs till they grow full size. They are hard fish to get to school in tanks as males will kill each other when start turning to adults, some people had luck with getting same batch of tank bread ones to school but I have only seen 3 adults in same tank.

3 is prob the smallest school I've saw?

I wouldn't put any cardinals in with a Valentini...... They are fin eaters, especially long finned fish like cardinals.

Read the description section:
Valentini Puffer

They won't eat your fish? They don't get to big, they aren't really puffers, they mimic a puffer. Won't get big enough to eat your fishy

@ ivan_dalmatia: The valentini puffer or saddled toby (canthigaster valentini) is a true puffer, who's skin, eggs and consequently larvae are toxic. No doubt by saying "it's a mimic" you meant the mimic filefish, (paraluteres prionurus), which is not actually toxic at all.

I understand your mistake, that is why it's important to distinguish fish not only by their common name, but their scientific as well. :)

@ ivan_dalmatia: The valentini puffer or saddled toby (canthigaster valentini) is a true puffer, who's skin, eggs and consequently larvae are toxic. No doubt by saying "it's a mimic" you meant the mimic filefish, (paraluteres prionurus), which is not actually toxic at all.

I understand your mistake, that is why it's important to distinguish fish not only by their common name, but their scientific as well. :)

Ya your right, sorry and thanks

In terms of toxicity, the puffer will be fine. Hes only harmful to an fish that is attacking him or eating him... Dont confuse the puffer with boxfish or cowfish, which can actually release a toxin.

yeah I would not say valentini would be a problem in toxic unless certain parts of the body eaten and tbh from having one I had no aggresion problems with mine in with 2 small ocellaris clowns and some cleaner and peppermint shrimp. I would say a pair or 3 would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom