how many bio balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, you'll need no less than 2 gallons...preferably 3. I would put in whatever the filter will hold in the biochamber.

Why not just go with liverock and a sandbed for biological filtration? It will be a more stable system with less problems in the long run? Bio balls will drive your nitrates through the roof.

Darin

www.captivereefs.com

Lion fish Tang flame angel. want corals but will have to wait until I can afford to build an adequate lighting system.

If you intend to have LR in the tank, then the above is correct...ditch the bioballs. You'll want about 1-1 1/2 lbs of LR per gallon to take care of the biofiltration. Your sandbed, should you decide to do a DSB, will need to be sugar sized aragonite sand at a depth of at least 4". If you want to keep corals in this tank, I would definitely set it up with LR at least and, IMO, a DSB.
Also, I hope you're planning on a dwarf lion. A Volitans will get way too large for a 55. So will most tangs. A 75gal is about the minimum recommended size for a yellow tang. Perhaps a fuzzy dwarf lionfish and a couple of other fish that will stay relatively small.

So if this is true:
They Produce massive amounts of nitrates. It is unavoidable!
That would mean the do an excellent job of removing ammonia/nitrites??? Then it is a great idea to put them before a fuge. Either way, I would rather have high nitrates than high ammonia or nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom