How many Blue Reef Chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! I am looking into getting a Blue Reef Chromis, but know they are a shoaling fish and should be kept in groups. My tank is 60 gallons, and I have a percula clown, black and yellow blenny, and various inverts. I am still looking to get a flame angel, and possibly one other fish. So, I was trying to decide how many chromis would be a good number (not only for my bioload, but for their happiness as well). I was thinking two or three? Any opinions?

I think five would be a good number to start with. That is how many I have in my tank and it makes a good looking group.

I'd say either 3 or 5. I've always heard and read that schooling fish should be added in odd-numbered quantities. I think it's so one doesn't get picked on too much. They're not nasty or anything, but they do chase each other around. I've got 3 in a 46-gallon and love them.

60gal tank and your looking to add more fish I would go with 3. You may want to look into the green chromis as well. They are a touch smaller vs the blue chromis. They are more of a light blue / green depending on how the light hits them vs the bright blue of the blue chromis. Either or is sharp. I plan on getting 3 green chromis for my 65gal in the near future.

I agree 3 or 5 would be OK. I chose the blue-green chromis as they were cheaper and do a good job schooling. If you look in the center of my tank in this old pic you`ll see them schooling.

Attachments

• 100_0304_401.jpg
    100_0304_401.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 169
I agree, 3-5. With the stock you currently have, should not be a problem. Don't forget to QT.

Back
Top Bottom