Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
How many Blue Reef Chromis?

Hello all! I am looking into getting a Blue Reef Chromis, but know they are a shoaling fish and should be kept in groups. My tank is 60 gallons, and I have a percula clown, black and yellow blenny, and various inverts. I am still looking to get a flame angel, and possibly one other fish. So, I was trying to decide how many chromis would be a good number (not only for my bioload, but for their happiness as well). I was thinking two or three? Any opinions?

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think five would be a good number to start with. That is how many I have in my tank and it makes a good looking group.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd say either 3 or 5. I've always heard and read that schooling fish should be added in odd-numbered quantities. I think it's so one doesn't get picked on too much. They're not nasty or anything, but they do chase each other around. I've got 3 in a 46-gallon and love them.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
60gal tank and your looking to add more fish I would go with 3. You may want to look into the green chromis as well. They are a touch smaller vs the blue chromis. They are more of a light blue / green depending on how the light hits them vs the bright blue of the blue chromis. Either or is sharp. I plan on getting 3 green chromis for my 65gal in the near future.
madhatter208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree 3 or 5 would be OK. I chose the blue-green chromis as they were cheaper and do a good job schooling. If you look in the center of my tank in this old pic you`ll see them schooling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0304_401.jpg (59.5 KB, 99 views)
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I agree, 3-5. With the stock you currently have, should not be a problem. Don't forget to QT.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

chromis, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com