How many clownfish can stay in a 10gal nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only one. That should probably be the only fish in a 10 gallon aquarium. One or two small gobies with the clown would work, but nothing more as in fish. You could get a cleaner shrimp too. I have the Hector's goby and it's really interesting to watch and has bright colors too.
Here are some ideas:
Nano Fish

A pair of clowns would be fine. Everyone says 20g plus, but I have pair in a 47g and they hardly move, not big swimmers. And they are pretty hearty fish so they could tolerate some of the fluctuation you'll surely get with a 10g.

I agree with phranque. In a ten gallon I would suggest a watchman goby and pistol pair. It is a great relationship between the two and is very interesting. There would be lotsa action in the tank with just these two little guys. I've got a pair and I love em. :)

Huh??? I didn't post nuthin'......... you got me on the brain? :brows:

You might get away with one, but personally, I wouldn't put any clowns in a 10g. I've got a pretty good size Ocellaris in my 28g, and he loves swimming around...... I couldn't imagine having to put him in a tank 1/3 the size. Remember, those cute little fish you see at the lfs can grow upwards of 2 1/2" to 3".
If you do decide to get one, investigate carefully....... some species of clowns can grow much larger than 3", particularly clarkiis and maroons. Your best bet would be a tank raised ocellaris.

You might get away with one, but personally, I wouldn't put any clowns in a 10g. I've got a pretty good size Ocellaris in my 28g, and he loves swimming around...... I couldn't imagine having to put him in a tank 1/3 the size. Remember, those cute little fish you see at the lfs can grow upwards of 2 1/2" to 3".
If you do decide to get one, investigate carefully....... some species of clowns can grow much larger than 3", particularly clarkiis and maroons. Your best bet would be a tank raised ocellaris.

I agree with Phranque-for real this time. :) If you must have a clown, I wouldn't do more than 1 oscellaris clown, and maybe a clown Goby OR a firefish.

Honestly watching my clownfish and how big they have grown in a year and how active they are I wouldn't put any into a 10 gallon just seems way to small for clownfish.

Agreed. Personally i wouldnt put a clown in anything under a 20g. They dont like to be a lone fish and in a 10g more than a clown is pushing it.

The only clown species i would use if you do decide to go with a clown is an Ocellaris. Also if you must have another fish then i would add the clown last and get the smallest one when you buy.

+1 I have the same clown in my 29g FOWLR and he is quite the active swimmer.

Nano Fish

What size tank is appropriate for a clown, is one of those questions that you will get a lot of different answers for. It depends on the type of person. But based on actual facts and science I'd say base it on what LiveAquaria says IMO 1-5g off isn't too bad, but more than that I wouldn't personally do.

"How Many Fish?" Aquarium Stock Level Calculator

Inches of fish is at FULL GROWN size not the size you buy them at.

Hope the links are helpful to you :)

Back
Top Bottom