Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question How many clownfish can stay in a 10gal nano tank?

How many clownfish are suitable in a 10gal nano tank
What fish are suitable to live with clownfish in a nano tank

Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only one. That should probably be the only fish in a 10 gallon aquarium. One or two small gobies with the clown would work, but nothing more as in fish. You could get a cleaner shrimp too. I have the Hector's goby and it's really interesting to watch and has bright colors too.
Here are some ideas:
Nano Fish

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

How about a pair of clownfish+1/2gobies?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A pair of clowns would be fine. Everyone says 20g plus, but I have pair in a 47g and they hardly move, not big swimmers. And they are pretty hearty fish so they could tolerate some of the fluctuation you'll surely get with a 10g.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree with phranque. In a ten gallon I would suggest a watchman goby and pistol pair. It is a great relationship between the two and is very interesting. There would be lotsa action in the tank with just these two little guys. I've got a pair and I love em.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Huh??? I didn't post nuthin'......... you got me on the brain?

You might get away with one, but personally, I wouldn't put any clowns in a 10g. I've got a pretty good size Ocellaris in my 28g, and he loves swimming around...... I couldn't imagine having to put him in a tank 1/3 the size. Remember, those cute little fish you see at the lfs can grow upwards of 2 1/2" to 3".
If you do decide to get one, investigate carefully....... some species of clowns can grow much larger than 3", particularly clarkiis and maroons. Your best bet would be a tank raised ocellaris.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pops sorry must be the pic!!! I agree with obscurereef.......... Doh
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post

You might get away with one, but personally, I wouldn't put any clowns in a 10g. I've got a pretty good size Ocellaris in my 28g, and he loves swimming around...... I couldn't imagine having to put him in a tank 1/3 the size. Remember, those cute little fish you see at the lfs can grow upwards of 2 1/2" to 3".
If you do decide to get one, investigate carefully....... some species of clowns can grow much larger than 3", particularly clarkiis and maroons. Your best bet would be a tank raised ocellaris.
I agree with Phranque-for real this time. If you must have a clown, I wouldn't do more than 1 oscellaris clown, and maybe a clown Goby OR a firefish.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly watching my clownfish and how big they have grown in a year and how active they are I wouldn't put any into a 10 gallon just seems way to small for clownfish.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post

Agreed. Personally i wouldnt put a clown in anything under a 20g. They dont like to be a lone fish and in a 10g more than a clown is pushing it.

The only clown species i would use if you do decide to go with a clown is an Ocellaris. Also if you must have another fish then i would add the clown last and get the smallest one when you buy.

Tags
10 gallon, clown, clownfish, nano, nano tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com