How many clowns in one tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godfrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I'm just sticking with perculas( snowflakes, mocha, and frostbite) how many can I have safely in a 55 gal. All tank raised and would love at least a pair of each

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Probably three they need at least two to three gallons per inch of clownfish

Probably three they need at least two to three gallons per inch of clownfish

Where did you hear this?

I don't agree, only one pair of clowns in a 55 - even paired they will fight...

Unless it's a harem tank, which is a different story, 2.

Agree with both. Clowns are hyper aggressive and sticking more than a single pair in a 55g is going to result in all but 2 dying. Unless, like macscale stated it's a harem tank.

Clown can live in large groups in the wild, but they keep to their own types. As damsels, they pick on each other constantly, but in groups of 20-100 there isn't one fish that gets all the negative attention. In a captive system, this can work but then all terribly go wrong for little obvious reasons.

Cleaning the tank or even putting your bare hand in will be a eye opening experience with a swarm of clowns.

Last edited:
I have repeatedly said ask 10 reefers one question and you will get 8 to 10 different answers most of which will simply confuse you. This is a case in point.

So, what’s the real answer? It depends on your level of experience, age of the system, type of filter system, water parameters, your husbandry habits and more.

Above is a mixed group of ocelaris clowns sharing a Stoichactus gigantia anemone. In this 90 gal tub is a total of 20 clowns, one yellow tang, 4 large Banggai Cardinals, two Neon Damsels, 8 Flame Scallops, numerous snails, and blue leg hermits, and an assortment of soft and hard corals. The system consists of a 70 gal sump, pump, and four koralia circulating pumps. Lots of flow, all fish fed three times a day, etc, etc, etc.

While this system is a bit larger than yours, it just shows what can be done. What is your level of experience?

Dick

I have repeatedly said ask 10 reefers one question and you will get 8 to 10 different answers most of which will simply confuse you. This is a case in point.

So, what’s the real answer? It depends on your level of experience, age of the system, type of filter system, water parameters, your husbandry habits and more.

Above is a mixed group of ocelaris clowns sharing a Stoichactus gigantia anemone. In this 90 gal tub is a total of 20 clowns, one yellow tang, 4 large Banggai Cardinals, two Neon Damsels, 8 Flame Scallops, numerous snails, and blue leg hermits, and an assortment of soft and hard corals. The system consists of a 70 gal sump, pump, and four koralia circulating pumps. Lots of flow, all fish fed three times a day, etc, etc, etc.

While this system is a bit larger than yours, it just shows what can be done. What is your level of experience?

Dick
As pointed out on this thread already, a harem tank works for clowns. Its important to know that it's either a go big or go home proposition. You have to have a sizable school to keep more than a pair.

Dick

So why ask if 80% of us are always wrong? Your post seems to indicate you are the sole voice of reason. Everyone on this thread has said the same thing. Under optimum circumstances it can be done.
What's your level of experience? ;)

Last edited:
So why ask if 80% of us are always wrong? Your post seems to indicate you are the sole voice of reason. Everyone on this thread has said the same thing. Under optimum circumstances it can be done.

+1.. My exact thoughts while reading your post..

+20 to that greg!

Sorry so long to repost but thanks for the info. I've had saltwater tanks for the last 20 years or so, and in that time almost all levels of fish only to sps reefs but still consider myself an educated beginner due to all the changes and new info that comes out at a constant rate.

20 years doesn't make you a beginner! I agree however that a good discussion thread can usually answer a good question.

I've always known that clowns were better off in lowers numbers but now with all the captive breeding and what clowns were seeing in pet shops are tenth( or however many) generation captive bred. I was just wondering if any one has seen a change. Like the picture above I have been seeing a lot of pics of large schools of clowns lately

My tank raised occ clowns are two of the most aggressive fish ive ever owned. Temperament hasn't changed, but methods of keeping them have.

And I know I'm not a beginner but it feels that way from time to time. Every time I stare into my tanks I'm in awe, and I can't see it ever getting old I guess that says extremely a lot about our hobby/ passion/lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom