How many different Salt Mixes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just want to get an idea of how many salt mixes did you guys use before you found the right one?.... Was it the first time? Was it the second time? Or maybe you used them all till you finally found that right one? Just wondering..
I'll take your comments suggestion etc......:p

Well for me I started out with Instant Ocean and now I just started using Oceanic so far it's working out great. :)

The first I ever tried was Instant Ocean and I never looked back. I have tried others in time and Reef Crystals intrigues me, but IO is "old reliable" and I have no complaints with my initial choice :)

Oh No not another salt thread. LOL I use Oceanic. IMO it`s the best out there but as I`ve said before, if you asked 10 people which is the best you`ll get 11 different answers.

I'm the opposite of James. I seemed to have constant issues with IO (maybe because I was still new), but I switched over to RC and have never had cyano to date. I am going out on a limb here and thinking the different salt mixes can possibly react to your specific water supply....? I'm on well water, with an RO/DI. Any thoughts?
I do agree with James, if it's working for you, stick with it!

Still using Oceanic....But thinking bout trying reef crystals.....for no reason other than I have never tried anything else

Nice responces... It's cool everyone started with a certain brand then switched to a different brand.

I started with Instant Ocean then switched to Reef Crystals when that came out and used it about 5 years. Then switched to Red Sea salt and used that about 10 years until they came out with Red Sea Coral Pro...which I use now.

I started with Instant Ocean then switched to Reef Crystals when that came out and used it about 5 years. Then switched to Red Sea salt and used that about 10 years until they came out with Red Sea Coral Pro...which I use now.

Wow! you been around!:D

Wow! you been around!:D
Yep...LOL. And I'm going full circle. I'm almost out of salt and I think I will be switching back to either Instant Ocean or Red Sea. Not that I have problems with the Coral Pro, but the calcium is too high for the alk. The salt is slightly out of balance and I have to supplement my pwc water. If I'm going to supplement, I might as well buy less expensive salt and supplement that.

No way. That is probably the most out of balance salt there is. The Coral Pro tests out about 470 ca and 8 dKH alk. Oceanic is about 580 ca and 8 dKH alk.

Dang I use Oceanic! You made it seem lik it was the worst one to use.....LOL :)

There is no best or worst salt. Some work better in some systems than others is all. :)

I was having issue with it at first but once you get the hang of it, it works out good, a lot of people I was reading up on where having issue with keeping PH above 8.0 but I started doing weekly water changes and know my PH and my other water parameter are stable and at a Normal reading... I love this stuff.... but I will see once I start putting coral in I guess I can't love it to much yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom