Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many fish in my 55?

Have a 55gal with overflow and a 10 gal refugium, how many fish can I have in there also included inverts?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is no set amount of fish, it will all depend on the fish you choose. you could have 3 fish and be stocked or have 10 fish and be stocked.

Are there any fish that are must haves for you? Then you can work with that as a beginning

Old 08-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not really what I have at the moment is 3 chromis,a cleaner shrimp, watchmen goby,Pygmy angel,firefish, yellow tang, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, blue star,sifting star, Halloween hermit 5 red legs 5 blue legs 3 turbo snails and a conch and that's it I think, Is that too much or no
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, you'll need to get rid of your yellow tang eventually. Hell definitely outgrow that size tank and will need a 6' tank. It really depends on what your parameters are at and if there is any aggression.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd say you're maxed out with fish for sure. They're gonna start feeling cramped if you add more. My 55 likes 5 fish. I've had 6 a couple of times but 5 seems to be the magic number.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well my parameters are perfect and there isn't any aggression at all, I know about the tang but I will either sell it or get a bigger tank by then
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Even with a skimmer and refugium it's maxed??
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That tang puts you at the max unfortunately. :-( i would not add any more fish, not even a clown goby. LOL

Once the tang grows big you can look forward to rethinking your stocklist after you rehome him or even better if you upgrade a whole new world of stocking can begin!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

And as far as inverts does that matter?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That depends really. The statement of "everything poops" is how max bioload is determined. Inverts for the most part recycle food, either eating waste, algae, or filter feed. This gives them a smaller impact on the bioload than say, a fish, but also keep in mind that their size also plays part in this.

I would see no reason that you couldn't add more snails and hermits. You already have a peppermint in there, I would either stick to another peppermint or maybe a cleaner shrimp. Getting too many more large things in this tank and everything will be bumping into each other, have no room to move, get stressed out, and lead to ich or even a system crash.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com