how many lbs of LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I rearranged my rockwork today for circulation and overall appeal. I took out a very heavy piece or non holy Texas holy rock that was just hidious to me. I donkey know how many lbs of LR I have in my 35 gallon but can u tell just by the ratio to the tank? Rough estimate I suppose. Like say my tank is 1/3 full of LR minus the sand bed. I know I will get some more with corals on them and what not but does that sound like enough or could I really benefit by having more. Ill post a pic up soon. Thanks on advance.

paul87 said:
So I rearranged my rockwork today for circulation and overall appeal. I took out a very heavy piece or non holy Texas holy rock that was just hidious to me. I donkey know how many lbs of LR I have in my 35 gallon but can u tell just by the ratio to the tank? Rough estimate I suppose. Like say my tank is 1/3 full of LR minus the sand bed. I know I will get some more with corals on them and what not but does that sound like enough or could I really benefit by having more. Ill post a pic up soon. Thanks on advance.

Sounds like a starting point. More would not hurt but its entirely impossible to tell how many pounds you have or ultimately need especially without a picture. Porous rock will be much light be also has more surface area and there for less is needed. Dense rock will be heavy and less surface area requiring more rock for biological filtration.

Ive never used Texas holy rock so im not aware of its properties compared to say fiji or pukani.

Yea I know. Most of the rocks in there now are the porous ones. I always get the light ones at the LFS. The Texas holy rock is heavy and nonporouse. Just has big holes in it here and there though I do have 2 more pieces of it for the base. They have a lot if good little caves in them. Here's my tank now. Note I have the bubble wand in there for the ref slime treatment. Gonna do a water change tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20120731_214539.jpg

So I picked up a 6.5 lb piece of dry lace rock today. Rinsed it and did a little rearranging of the rockwork while I did a 10 gal water change. In sure ill rearrange the rockwork again before its all over with. It was lights out time. Hopefully it will be live soon its a good piece to put some corals on! :) Done with the red slime treatment hopefully I can keep the nitrates DOWN. I know some more LR should help. Here's some pics before it was lights out. Tell me what u think.

ForumRunner_20120801_225540.jpg

ForumRunner_20120801_225604.jpg

ForumRunner_20120801_225635.jpg

paul87 said:
So I picked up a 6.5 lb piece of dry lace rock today. Rinsed it and did a little rearranging of the rockwork while I did a 10 gal water change. In sure ill rearrange the rockwork again before its all over with. It was lights out time. Hopefully it will be live soon its a good piece to put some corals on! :) Done with the red slime treatment hopefully I can keep the nitrates DOWN. I know some more LR should help. Here's some pics before it was lights out. Tell me what u think.

Looks like enough to me long as your not to heavily stocked

Back
Top Bottom