How many mangroves for a 90gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read many ways to lower nitrates, adding mangroves being one of them. How many should I get for a 90gal? Is there some rule of thumb or should I add as many as my sump will hold. Could I add some macroalgae as well, or should it be one or the other? Do they "compete" for nitrates? Anyway, just looking for some recommendations. Tank is still cycling, but just planning ahead. Thanks.

how big is your sump ? is it glass? remember mangroves are trees and can get big ! also there roots get very long even when it only has a few leaves ! so i wouldnt put then in anyglass tank the roots will find there way out in time ! other than that 3-4 would work ! id setup another fuge for another macro algae :)

Thanks for the reply scuba. What kind of macro-algae would you recommend? I was thinking about adding a fuge to my current sump setup, but it seems like a lot of work. Also, I don't have a lot of room under my stand so it would be difficult trying to raise the fuge higher than the sump.

Anyone try the hob fuges? It seems like they're too small. My tank is a 90gal, not excessively large but if I got a regular fuge for under the tank it'd be 20 gallons at least. The hob fuges look like they're 5 gallons at most. Also, I have the tank in my room and keeping the fuge light on overnite would disrupt my sleep.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to setup a fuge, but I keep running into obstacles. Anyone see a solution to these problems? Take out the sump and have just a fuge setup with a skimmer/heater section? Anyway thanks for listening/reading my rambling. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Back
Top Bottom