Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
How many PH for 55 Gal Tank?

Hey, I have a FOWLR tank, wasn't completely sure if this topic should go under here or hardware discussion. Anyway, I have a Fluvial 304 (Pumps up to 260 gallons per hour). I also just added a PH rated for a 30 G tank. Do I need another PH?

Thanks

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of fish are you keeping? Some like higher current than others. If you're going to try to keep soft corals, you'd want to up to 10x turnover, sounds like you're around 5x now.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not going to add any corals. This is what I currently have:
304 Fluvial Canister
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
2 3 Stripped Damsels
1 Blue Devil Damsel
1 Yellow stripped Maroon Clown Fish
1 pencil and pincushion urchins
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Will be remoing the CC slowly (about 1/3 at a time). I will like to add a cleaning crew (although my two urchins seem to be doing a great job so far). Judging from feeding, the circulation shows there isn't really any noticable "dead spots" or at least not any big enough that I can see.
Once I am done replacing the CC, I wll add a BTA for my clown.
As for future additions/subtractions, I will probably return a few damsels (not that I really want to), but I want to add some fish that will have a lot of color. I'm not really looking right now for suggestions as to future additions (sorry if that sounded mean, but I have plenty of time). I just want to make sure my BTA remains healthy (since I'm still a noob). Also, I will add more LR once the CC removal is complete. I think I only have about 25-35Lbs of LR currently, possibly more, I'd have to check all my invoices.

Thanks!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 04-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have enough light for the BTA?

It sounds like you're on the right track. Those fish like high current, but they should be ok with your current setup. The BTA will move into the current if he doesn't think he's getting enough, so you might adjust your flow based on his behavior.

I'd be curious how the urchins do in the long run. I've heard mixed things about keeping them.

Keep us updated!
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I will be getting the 216W lights of this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113175
I've had the fish in there for a little over 2months, and they are doing fine...funny thing is, all have them have grown noticably except for one of the yellow tails, he is eating fine and not getting picked on. I'm not in a hurry (althoug I REALLY want a BTA for the clown), but I am waiting to finish switching out 98% of my CC for sand (over about a month) and getting the egg crate and new lighting system, plus adding more LR.
My urchins seem to being great, they move all over the place (it's kind of hard to tell about thier health) and seem to be eating machines. My pencil urchin has lost quite a few spines, he is small and I think he is growing, but the spines grow right back.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com