Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie
My tank is a 40 gallon. 3 feet long. I know my tang needs more room( newbie mistake when I got him) eventually I'll be getting a bigger tank so hopefully he'll be ok till then
Once he reaches a few inches you will start seeing the effects of keeping him in a small tank.. ich is very prone in the tang family and stress is the leading cause. Best of luck to you though and hope you upgrade

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ich is not caused by stress. Ich is a parasite, one which tangs are prone to carry, but may or may not be present on any given fish. While stress can be detrimental to the immune system, allowing ich to become problematic, a large fish added to a small system is far more likely to be stressed than a small fish that grows out in a smaller system.

Ich is vastly more predominant when a fish in recently introduced to a system due to the ongoing stress of catching & the supply chain or the addition of an antagonistic tankmate.

If the tang is healthy now, odds are it will remain as such. Keep it well fed, with plenty of grazing opportunity and keep a watchful eye on its size vs tank space. Again, too many myths in this hobby.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
Ich is not caused by stress. Ich is a parasite, one which tangs are prone to carry, but may or may not be present on any given fish. While stress can be detrimental to the immune system, allowing ich to become problematic, a large fish added to a small system is far more likely to be stressed than a small fish that grows out in a smaller system.

Ich is vastly more predominant when a fish in recently introduced to a system due to the ongoing stress of catching & the supply chain or the addition of an antagonistic tankmate.

If the tang is healthy now, odds are it will remain as such. Keep it well fed, with plenty of grazing opportunity and keep a watchful eye on its size vs tank space. Again, too many myths in this hobby.
Ich can be caused by stress. You even said it yourself. Stress will weaken their immune system allowing the parasite to take advantage of the situation. Also just because the fish is healthy now without ich doesn't mean it won't occur down the road.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, stress relates to the immune system, but it does not cause ich. That's like saying a person being stressed can cause a cold. The virus causes the cold. A stressed person without a nearby cold virus cannot catch a cold; likewise a stressed fish cannot get ich if the parasite is not present, no matter how stressed they become.

Further, ich has an 11 month cycle, meaning it cannot reproduce beyond this point. I mention this because, if a fish is ich free for 11 months or so without any new additions, the parasite will no longer be present. It simply cannot reproduce beyond that point.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
No, stress relates to the immune system, but it does not cause ich. That's like saying a person being stressed can cause a cold. The virus causes the cold. A stressed person without a nearby cold virus cannot catch a cold; likewise a stressed fish cannot get ich if the parasite is not present, no matter how stressed they become.

Further, ich has an 11 month cycle, meaning it cannot reproduce beyond this point. I mention this because, if a fish is ich free for 11 months or so without any new additions, the parasite will no longer be present. It simply cannot reproduce beyond that point.
I get what your saying but most fish have ich dormant in them to begin with. Now I say stress causes the ich because a healthy immune system will be able to fight it off normally. Once the fish gets stressed it has trouble keeping it at bay due to a weakened immune system. I'm not saying that stress creates ich but simply opens up the window for it.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You guys are arguing and are both a little bit right.

Everyone, including fish, carry around organisms that can kill them if their immune system collapses. Stress, especially in surgeonfish, can open the fish up to whatever. Ich can seem to appear from no where because it can come in from LFS water from a new fish or coral. Or the new fish could be carrying it and not be showing visible signs.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was trying to keep the thread on track. And sarcasm is actually very hard to infer when it's in text. But, yes, tangs are more prone to ick than most fish. That being said, it can't pop up out of nowhere, it needs to be introduced. But them being stressed increases the chance they will get it if it's in the system.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Holy cow! I just wanted to see if you guys liked my rockwork!! Calm down
Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
Holy cow! I just wanted to see if you guys liked my rockwork!! Calm down

I think your tank looks great and your tang looks healthy screw the tang police.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again..... Calm it down. Stop attempting to put others down. I don't appreciate it. You realize that your tang needs a bigger tank, which is very good. He's fine for now, but when you upgrade make sure to move him. I think your rock work looks good, but if you want to switch it up.... It's your tank after all :P

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com