Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How many pumps do I need?

Hey guys.

I'm about to start my first saltwater tank (i have done plenty of freshwater but i want to expand). It's a 30 gallon tank that would probably have 4-5 fish in it. I was planning on doing a cartridge filter and a protein skimmer. I heard since i'm not doing a sump, i should have more then one pumps. I'm looking at hydor pumps right now and i'm not sure if i need one or two and how many gph do i need per pump. Would two 600 gph pumps be too crazy?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Two pumps will help you create a more 'chaotic' and randomized flow pattern in the system. It will help with minimizing low flow areas.
In terms of 600 gph, that is just fine. A minimum of flow is around 10x turnover of the system and can go as high at 50x in high flow sps tanks.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Two pumps will help you create a more 'chaotic' and randomized flow pattern in the system. It will help with minimizing low flow areas.
In terms of 600 gph, that is just fine. A minimum of flow is around 10x turnover of the system and can go as high at 50x in high flow sps tanks.

Ok thank you. Also how should I position the two pumps. One on the left wall and one on the right? Should they be the same height or one lower and one higher?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I always try to offset some so every part gets a little circulation

Tags
pump, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com