How many shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TitoBoyz2491

Aquarium Advice Regular
I havea 20 gallon reef that currently houses a 4 stripe damsel, yellow watchman, and a royal gramma. I currently have 2 small peppermint shrimp and a pistol shrimp who i rarely see, (he's always making burrows around the tank) and want to know if its okay to pick up a cleaner shrimp. Hes the size of the pepperments, which arent that big. Sound okay?

Yeah you can add another. A cuc does not really count to your bio load. Just make sure they have enough food for all of them. If u don't want another shrimp u can look into a turbo snail.

Huh...... No pistol shrimps actively hunt cleaner shrimps.... Unless you have a BIG tank I say NO. look up "Pistol shrimp" video on YouTube.
Yes you can add more Snails and other clean up crew but not a turbo snail either as it will add to your bio-load.....you can literally sit there and watch them poop all the neutralments they eat...and hermit crabs will also become victims of your pistol shrimp ..... I know I watch mine kill hermits,and my fire shrimp :-/

But you can always give it a try :)

Thanks, fisherman i think it depends on the type of pistol, ive had mine with hermits for about a month and no problem, also he has been in there with the peps who actually reside next to the pistols burrow and they been doing excellent. I think it depends on the kind of pistol

It does depend on which type of pistol shrimp it is. Most pistol shrimp for our hobby will not actively hunt other inverts. However, should a shrimp/crab/snail venture in to the pistol shrimps home, you can bet there will be a confrontation and most likely that invert is going to wind up getting eaten.

Back
Top Bottom