how many shrimp is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigford84

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a 55 gallon salty with 30 gallon sump/fuge it has a few corals in it, also have 1 camel shrimp,1 cleaner shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp and only 3 small fish.... I want more shrimps ,but how many is two many?

You cant really have too many unless there is agression. Sometimes cleaner shrimp get mean.

How many more do you WANT to add?

As long as they are fed there isn't an issue with that many or more. They have very small impact on the system to my knowledge. Just make sure they are all compatible as some are not friendly towards one another. A blood shrimp might be a nice addition to your tank.

I think i would want maybe 7 more for a total of 10 ... Blood shrimp? Is that the same as a fire shrimp? Im not set on 10 but maybe like 6 or 8 total ..

Ya i mean thats alot of shrimp, but i bet it will be ok. Blood shrimp are fire shrimp

Coral banded shrimp are really cool too! Their antennae get really long...like 8-10" long, and they have 4 of them. You can pretty much find them, wherever they are.

In time there could be some aggression issues with the pistol. They can be aggressive when they get larger. Most people don't have issues though.

I had a pair of coral banded in my tank for a little over a year then they started killing fish. But they were awesome until then. Would do flips off rocks trying to catch food.

tilton.s11 said:
I had a pair of coral banded in my tank for a little over a year then they started killing fish. But they were awesome until then. Would do flips off rocks trying to catch food.

I'd love to see a video of that!

I have the same question, I love shrimp they are the reason I wanted a salt water tank. I have a 30 gallon and I want 2 skunk cleaners a pistol with a goby and more shrimp if possible. What does everyone think. Any other cool shrimp I could add to my list?

Ericwm said:
I have the same question, I love shrimp they are the reason I wanted a salt water tank. I have a 30 gallon and I want 2 skunk cleaners a pistol with a goby and more shrimp if possible. What does everyone think. Any other cool shrimp I could add to my list?

No unless you get rid of pistol he will eventually kill your cleaners

Hocky puck said:
No unless you get rid of pistol he will eventually kill your cleaners

Good to know. I don't want that, thanks for the advice. No pistol then, that's to bad the watchman looks cool with them. Will any other shrimp do the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom