How many yellow tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 125gal, and I was talking with a cool lady at a new LFS. I was looking at the yellow tangs, as I picked out my Xenia and put my AWESOME long-tentacle heliofungia (plate) coral on hold 'til Sunday. She said they do best alone or in odd-pairs, and that if given the opportunity, they like to school. I trust the store, I really do, but I always double-check here. So my question is, how many yellows could I safely put in my tank? I want to make sure they're not cramped, they're not harmed by my other fish, and that they don't harm my other fish.

2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Neon Blue Goby, 7 Blue-Green Chromis, 1 Firefish, 1 Yellow-watchman goby.

1 Peral bubble coral, 2 pulsing xenia, 2 Ricordia Shrooms, 1 Mat of Green Star Polyps. Will have LTP (heliofungia) and Galaxia, Torch, Frogspawn in the relatively near future. Thanks!!

Stick with one. Otherwise you're supposed to do 6 in a group which will outgrow most aquariums short of 200G.

You'll need an even dozen if you want to hold the forum record.

:lol:

I keep 10 yellows, so far so good. I WOULD NOT recommend it though by any means. Theres a serious bio load, and agression issue. So far im fine on both. If you really must, 3 worked well for me in the past (introduce them at the same time).

Whats your filtration. Having more than 1 tang IMO given yoru existing bioload will be a bit to much for the tank to comfortably support. There is a fine line between being at full comfortable fish capacity and being overcrowded. What I mean by comforable fish capacity is should your tank lose power for a few hours an overcrowded tank will have significant fish dieoff due to lack of oxygen. A comforatbly stocked tank will not have such issues.

LOL, not going for the record by any means. =]

fishfreek: 170+ lbs. LR in the tank, another 50ish lbs. in the 55gal sump. 4-6" DSB, Berlin Classic XL skimmer, powered by a mag 9. The skimmer doesn't even skim anything nasty yet....it skims small amounts of very white foam. I have adjusted it...any more and it just foams a ton of water over, and anything less and it doesn't foam at all. + like 120 Cerith snails, 2 peps, and a pistol all scavenge.

If 3 is not a good idea, I'm not going to do it. I just want them to be happy. If one is fine, I'll just get one, or perhaps a regal (pacific) blue instead.

If it matters, I'll probably get a mandarin in a few months. The pod level isn't to where I'm comfortable getting one yet. I need to nab some live sand from an LFS.

Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming :)

[PS - The Xenia looks wonderful today. Pulsing like a villain.]

I would do one tang. With corals your not going to want much nitrates, and the less fish the better.

Back
Top Bottom