Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
How much?

How much and how often should I feed my brittle star? I have been feeding it brine shrimp and fresh shrimp from the grocers. What else should I add into its diet?

Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A starfish can be offered meaty food about once or twice a week. The rest of the time the starfish can pick around the tank at natural growth. Careful feeding raw fish from the grocery store to aquarium animals. Stick with frozen fish meant for fish to eat...not what is meant for people to eat. There's more of a risk of the starfish getting sick...or anything else that eats it.

Most of the raw fish on the market as people food are meant to be cooked and therefore not really treated for pathenogens. Raw fish for fish to eat are treated for pathenogens mainly because it gets eaten raw. I won't eat sushi or any raw fish for that matter. I know what lives inside the flesh of fish...eeekkk...LOL. Gotta cook it.

Frozen squid, prawn, and silversides are readily available at any LFS.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Is it a good idea to feed it brine shrimp? OR should I stick to silversides and such? I have frozen squid cubes but they are not chunky and are really messy. I had them for my puffer when I had him.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

starfish

Personally, I don't consider brine shrimp to be 'meaty'. Yes, it is meat, but they are very tiny and need lots of it for it to be a staple. Offering the variety with the brine is good. One day give it squid. Another, give it a silverside and so forth. It can get brine shrimp from what the other fish let drop. Keeps the starfish doing it's job

Squid is just messy...even cleaned and neatly in a cube. Try buying a one pound box of calamari and cleaning that. Oh that's so gross!! Stunk up the entire house for hours.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com