How much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
How much and how often should I feed my brittle star? I have been feeding it brine shrimp and fresh shrimp from the grocers. What else should I add into its diet?

A starfish can be offered meaty food about once or twice a week. The rest of the time the starfish can pick around the tank at natural growth. Careful feeding raw fish from the grocery store to aquarium animals. Stick with frozen fish meant for fish to eat...not what is meant for people to eat. There's more of a risk of the starfish getting sick...or anything else that eats it.

Most of the raw fish on the market as people food are meant to be cooked and therefore not really treated for pathenogens. Raw fish for fish to eat are treated for pathenogens mainly because it gets eaten raw. I won't eat sushi or any raw fish for that matter. I know what lives inside the flesh of fish...eeekkk...LOL. Gotta cook it.

Frozen squid, prawn, and silversides are readily available at any LFS.

Is it a good idea to feed it brine shrimp? OR should I stick to silversides and such? I have frozen squid cubes but they are not chunky and are really messy. I had them for my puffer when I had him.

starfish

Personally, I don't consider brine shrimp to be 'meaty'. Yes, it is meat, but they are very tiny and need lots of it for it to be a staple. Offering the variety with the brine is good. One day give it squid. Another, give it a silverside and so forth. It can get brine shrimp from what the other fish let drop. Keeps the starfish doing it's job ;)

Squid is just messy...even cleaned and neatly in a cube. Try buying a one pound box of calamari and cleaning that. Oh that's so gross!! Stunk up the entire house for hours.

Back
Top Bottom