Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
How much actinic to fix yellowness?

Yo everyone, as some of you know I recently completed a DIY lighting using two 65 watt 6500k bulbs (one on each side of the tank). My problem is that The tank looks fairly yellow upon installation, and I was if anyone would know what to use to fix the problem. I do not have any actinics as of yet. I was thinking VHOs would fix it, but not sure which I need. The tank is a 45G tall, about 36 inches in length.

So there you go, any suggestions?

In the pic below there aren't any corals but as of current, I have gotten a new rock with about 7 mushrooms, some pulsating Xenia, a small frag of Frog Spawn, two leathers (from another tank, they haven't been doing well and he offered them to me), some Zoos and I think thats about it. They have all been doing well except one of the leathers still hasn't inflated yet (I am not surprised, been doing research on them).

Old 12-12-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

here are some other pics for some views and angles

Old 12-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #3
steve-s

I think you could go with either a 2x65w actinic PC or 2x75w VHO. They will compliment the lighting and you will get better light penetration with the increased amount. The leathers and frogspawn will also do much better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-12-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'd probably put one 96w PC actinic on there to start. You can do that cheaper than a VHO I think. If you decide to do VHO, I'm thinking you might fire them with a Fulham ballast...maybe a Workhorse 7...not 100% sure about that.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh its okay, JustDIY pretty much told me that it'd be better to just sell this off and get different lighting. Unfortunately having 6500K lights is too hard to compliment.. I stuck on the 110 watts of actinics and it still didn't look too good. Oh well at least a freshwater person will like'em :P

Tags
actinic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com