How much actinic to fix yellowness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yo everyone, as some of you know I recently completed a DIY lighting using two 65 watt 6500k bulbs (one on each side of the tank). My problem is that The tank looks fairly yellow upon installation, and I was if anyone would know what to use to fix the problem. I do not have any actinics as of yet. I was thinking VHOs would fix it, but not sure which I need. The tank is a 45G tall, about 36 inches in length.

So there you go, any suggestions?

In the pic below there aren't any corals but as of current, I have gotten a new rock with about 7 mushrooms, some pulsating Xenia, a small frag of Frog Spawn, two leathers (from another tank, they haven't been doing well and he offered them to me), some Zoos and I think thats about it. They have all been doing well except one of the leathers still hasn't inflated yet (I am not surprised, been doing research on them).

I think you could go with either a 2x65w actinic PC or 2x75w VHO. They will compliment the lighting and you will get better light penetration with the increased amount. The leathers and frogspawn will also do much better.

Cheers
Steve

I'd probably put one 96w PC actinic on there to start. You can do that cheaper than a VHO I think. If you decide to do VHO, I'm thinking you might fire them with a Fulham ballast...maybe a Workhorse 7...not 100% sure about that.

Heh its okay, JustDIY pretty much told me that it'd be better to just sell this off and get different lighting. Unfortunately having 6500K lights is too hard to compliment.. I stuck on the 110 watts of actinics and it still didn't look too good. Oh well at least a freshwater person will like'em :p

Back
Top Bottom