How much ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just gotten my 90g set up to the point of being ready to cycle. I'm going to do a fishless cycle using ammonia from ACE hardware.

I don't really want to just start dumping ammonia in the tank though. Is there any calculation or does anyone know how much ammonia it takes to bring the level up to 4 ppm in a 90g tank? Any educated guesses?

Thanks.

Adeain

Why not just use a shrimp to cycle? Put a piece of cocktail shrimp into a dress sock or pantyhose leg and let it decay. Then you don't have to worry about dosing the system.

you don't have to worry about dosing, but you also have to wait for it to decompose and can't controll how much ammonia is actually in there

To each his own, both methods work well. I just prefer the shrimp method, quick and painless, toss it in and wait. lol

lol no doub. when i cycled my lace rock i just used the moss that was on it as an ammonia source. the ammonia never spiked above 4ppm and quickly turned into nitrite 10 days later where it stalled for a few weeks because the moss kept decomposing and turning into nitrites. i had to do three 50% waterchanges to bring the nitrite to under 5PPM and down to 80ppm nitrates. three days ater i had no nitrites and 20ppm nitrates. yeah i know a drop in nitrates to end the cycle :p.

the rock is still sitting in the 7 gallon bucket i was using to cure it

I had thought about using a shrimp but the idea of being able to know the exact levels and times appealed to the engineer in me more. That and every time I get shrimp they end up getting grilled. :)

Back
Top Bottom