How much bio-load from two clowns & an eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I add two clowns (small) and an eel to my tank (150g with 120lb of LR); and haven't noticed any change in the chemical balance in the tank. Is it safe to add a few other small fish? I'm thinking of a few small hippo tangs (1" in size).

Is it safe to say, the smaller the fish the less the bioload?

What kind of eel?
Smaller does not always mean less of a bioload. Two clowns are probably less of a bioload than an eel....Your more messy eaters (lions, eels to name a few) will contribute to a larger "bioload" than a less messy eater.

I have a small snowflake eel, he doesn't come out of the rocks often - which sucks because he is so beautiful.

Snowflake's are pretty mild-mannered and prefer crustaceans; although, anything in a tank is fair game. If those are your only animals then you are far from overstocked, not even close.

O I know I'm not over stocked - but more worried about getting an amonia spike if I add to quickly.

Do you think I can add a golden eel with this one with no problems?

Are we talking Gymnothorax miliaris from the Atlantic? If so this animal attains about 2' and will eat anything it can fit in its mouth.

I was just interested thats all. Ive heard owners have trouble feeding any kind of eels.

I didnt have any problem feeding mine. As James said the snowflake is a bit mild mannered.

100_1859.jpg

Like innovator, it is wise to know the adult size of a fish before you add it to your tank...

Back
Top Bottom