How much can I add each day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to some personal problems I've really been slacking on water changes and some other testing of my 110g tank. My Alk/Ca levels are off again and I can't seem to get them in check. I was using IO salt and have begun the process of switching to Tropic Marin which I'm sure will help my problems. My levels are currently Alk 2.75 meq/L and 375 Ca. I currently have been dripping 1gal water w/ 2tsp kalk every night and adding 1tsp Kent turbo CA at night. I also have Kent dkH buffer but have not been using it because my alk was steady at 3.5 but I couldn't seem to get my Ca levels up. How much of each can I add a day to my tank? I know a few large water changes would help but I'm afraid of stressing corals/fish with such a rapid change from IO to Tropic Marin.

Any advice? I think I'm going to try and start dripping kalk during the day as well and keep a close eye on the pH.

Personally, the levels aren't that bad. The CA and ALK are balanced, they just need to be nudged up a hair. Personally, I would continue to do more frequent waterchanges to increase levels and then replace all evaporation with a saturated kalk solution, adding enough kalk powder to maintain levels.

Hehehehe, I think it's a crappy salt ;) If I weren't so darn happy with Tropic Marin, I'd probably give the Oceanic a try.

For a FO tank I think IO is ok to use but for anything else I think it's crappy :wink:

If I weren't so darn happy with Tropic Marin, I'd probably give the Oceanic a try.
Kevin, Maybe this might.. I am Sure you are familiar with "mojoreef" well a study that he posted goes as follows..

Mary I can find the original charts, but I did find some stuff from Craig Bingmans testing on a bunch of salt brands. Here are the results as it pertains to Phosphates

Instant ocean = very low, below NSW
Reef Crystals = higher then NSW
Coralife = extremely high content
Tropic Marin = extremely high content
Red sea = higher then NSW
Kent = equal to NSW
Seachem = lower then NSW
Marinemix hw = alot more then nsw but not as bas as TM or CL

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=847&highlight=phosban

I saw that the other day and the first thing that came to my mind was... For you guys that dont know who Mojo is or haven't heard about him he runs an 800+gal setup up here close by me... His tank is just stunning... MojoReef Homepage

It seems as though there is a few people out here with tanks like that...

James

I was using IO Reef Crystals and having a hard time maintaining Ca and Alk. Switched to Kent salt and keeping water balanced has been much easier, and then I threw a clam into the 20 gallon....now the levels drop nightly again.

FWIW, My IO test at 8.1ph, 450ca and 3.5 meg/l at 1.025sg on a seatest hydrometeor before I add it to my tank. Not bad! I have no problem maintaining 400ca and 3.0 alk by adding 7.5 ml b-ionic to my tank daily. I'd like to try tropic marin but I can't find it locally.

Wow, last time I used IO I test CA to be only 350. BTW, That Fish Place in lancaster sells tropic marin if The Hidden Reef doesn't.

Thanks for the info, I'll check out that fish place... I just bought a 100 gal worth of IO salt online from premiumaquatics.com b/c it was inexpensive so I'm good for a few months! The tests I'm using are all Seachem test.

Back
Top Bottom