Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
I dont want to know myself. I started on craigslist for $150 and i thought i was getting everything i needed. The only thing i was able to use was the tank and stand. all the other stuff that came with it was thrown away. I know I have spent well over 3k. But i dont want to know.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Well since no one else is brave enough (just kidding!) and since I had a slow day today, I tried to compile a list of money I've spent. I just upgraded tanks a few months ago, so this isn't a total of what I've spent since I started the hobby, but this is how much I've spent on my current tank. If I were to add all of it up, I'd be really depressed!

45 gallon

Tank and stand - $30 (newspaper, baby!)
T5 lights - $190
Skimmer – $164
RO/DI Unit - $120
Powerheads - $110
Liverock - $800 (more than half handpicked from the LFS)
Heater - $25
HOB filter - $50
Filter media - $40
Sand - $45
Algae scraper – $10
Test kit – $25
2 nets – $2
digital thermometer – $5
gravel vac – $6
bucket – $3
Rubbermaid – $12
4 buckets of salt so far – $200
Subtotal - $1847

Livestock:
Zoos

bubble – 50
frogspawn – 40
red brain – 20
red/green brain – 40
green brain – 40
gsp – 40
torch – 30
birdsnest – 30
ricordea – 25
mushrooms – 35
monti cap – 60
green sps monti – 40
blasto – 35
acro - 30
inverts - $100
fish
clownfish – 30
PJ cardinals – 45
Subtotal – 800

Grand total - $2647

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
this thread would scare me if i put my info inside it. Being the poor college student $60 for my recent true percs and 1.5lbs of LR was rough enough, and to boot i'm getting ready for some sort of refugium which no matter how i do it is at least another $80+ yes not much compared to some of the above costs but going off minimum wage and no overtime makes it hard
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip_lx
this thread would scare me if i put my info inside it. Being the poor college student $60 for my recent true percs and 1.5lbs of LR was rough enough, and to boot i'm getting ready for some sort of refugium which no matter how i do it is at least another $80+ yes not much compared to some of the above costs but going off minimum wage and no overtime makes it hard
Dont worry flip. When you get your fulltime job, you will waste alot more money. So keep the part time. It will limit what you buy. Its not like some of us on here that can afford alot more, but spend alot more. So it evens out. Im sure when you finish college, you will have one awesome looking tank.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Darn you people... you made me go and look. (Note to self: if you really don't want to know what you spent, don't set up a category in Quicken called "aquarium"!)

46 gallon - to get it up and running, cycled with a cleanup crew: $3600

Now... that includes water filtration (Kold-Steril), battery backups, QT, and everything... and I mean everything (including the fittings to hook up said water system) to get the tank cycled. Granted I didn't go cheap on things, but it was for a good cause!

[Edit: Just went back and relooked at that report as that number seemed high after I thought about it for a while. Included in that number is everything I bought that I wouldn't normally have, if it weren't for the tank. So that number includes power strips, timers, shelf and mounting hardware that I added to the stock stand, the laminate floor I put down under the tank because I didn't want to put it on the carpet, a bunch of testing kits... you get the idea.

And to think... it all started because my 5-year old wanted a "fish tank." ]
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well the thing is, we could be spending all this money on things that destroy us, cause others harm or is against the law, instead we put our $$$$$ into something that we enjoy and others can enjoy. I've added up the amount I've spent several times and really I'm shocked that it isn't higher. I have a beautiful tank (I think) and I love to see peoples faces the first time they see it. I have no regrets and intend to keep right on spending money on it.

Besides, it's only money
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
Besides, it's only money
Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip_lx
Being the poor college student...
So am I lol. Loans (im terrible I know) but Im in aviation, and $700 for a x-country flight up to Mackinac and back makes that aquac ev-180 seem affordable.

Thanks, future-self! *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy953
Besides, it's only money
Amen lol. Besides if worse comes to worst, theres always craigslist ;P
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay...this has got me curious...dang you morbid curiosity!
Tank, stand, lights, sump, heaters, powerheads, wavemaker, RO/DI, LR and LS all total about $4450.00 for just my large reef. This does not include any coral, fish or inverts, nor does it inclue things like refracto, books, test kits, food, salt or maintanance supplies. I think I will stop counting...
Thanks for bringing this up...here is me and my beautiful wife...
Old 07-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I don't have past numbers, but several years ago I had a 10g with over $1,500 worth of equipment and livestock (mostly livestock). I have a 20g that will have everything moved into a 50g, which will be part of a dual 50g system plus I'll be setting up a 75g towards the end of the year...not sure where this money is going to come from? Anybody wish to buy a soul?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com