Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tanks themselves can be one of the cheapest parts if you get a good deal. Rock & Sand is probably the most expensive part outside of livestock.

Keep in mind a bigger tank needs bigger lights, filtration, pumps, powerheads etc not to mention sumps & plumbing.

When I built my first 29 last spring, I bought equipment that was either way oversized or modular to accommodate upgrades. My next upgrade will be a 120 Gal to an ultimate 240. I'm gradually adding pieces to get closer to this goal without any major one time expense or waste.

It's like saving but with corals growing, having a tank running and no pile of gear waiting to be used.

I've recently plumbed a 32 Gal Brute reservoir into my sump/Fuge to handle the 100 lbs of rock I'll be adding before I go 120. Then adding an MP40 & another Radion. This way when I get my 120, I'll only need sand & water.

After that point, 100 more lbs of rock into the Brute to wait until the 220. Then it's another MP40, another Radion & an upgraded skimmer at this point (current skimmer then goes to frag tank ill be setting up) then I'll be ready to rock.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
The tanks themselves can be one of the cheapest parts if you get a good deal. Rock & Sand is probably the most expensive part outside of livestock.

Keep in mind a bigger tank needs bigger lights, filtration, pumps, powerheads etc not to mention sumps & plumbing.

When I built my first 29 last spring, I bought equipment that was either way oversized or modular to accommodate upgrades. My next upgrade will be a 120 Gal to an ultimate 240. I'm gradually adding pieces to get closer to this goal without any major one time expense or waste.

It's like saving but with corals growing, having a tank running and no pile of gear waiting to be used.

I've recently plumbed a 32 Gal Brute reservoir into my sump/Fuge to handle the 100 lbs of rock I'll be adding before I go 120. Then adding an MP40 & another Radion. This way when I get my 120, I'll only need sand & water.

After that point, 100 more lbs of rock into the Brute to wait until the 220. Then it's another MP40, another Radion & an upgraded skimmer at this point (current skimmer then goes to frag tank ill be setting up) then I'll be ready to rock.
That's a great plan. Right now I have a 32 gallon that I'm trying to upgrade to the same tanks eventually but I didn't have a plan like that I might use it! What equipment do you have on the tank now?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Radion, Vortech, Mag 9.5 Return, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, Profilux Plus II Ex with quad Doser.

Thinking of using 2 smaller return pumps when I upgrade as a failsafe. Going to a Vertex skimmer and adding onto the Ecotech gear. Also considering BRS dual reactor, the TLF ones are garbage in my mind.

I have a Vertex RODI, 2 Maxi Jets running my auto water changes and an old Bubble Blaster pump to move RO water around. One of my old Koralia 750s moves water around in my salt mix reservoir & 2 240s will keep water moving in my rock reservoir.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Water overflows from my DT into my old 29 Gallon tank (refugium/skimmer), into my Brute then into a 20 Gal return tank in a 3 tier overflow setup. One return pump runs it all. No gear goes to waste!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a great setup. I just made my first sump out of a 10 gallon. Eventually when I get my bigger tank I will turn the 30 gallon into a new sump. BTW what do you think of The radions? I'm thinking of getting a 24" panorama pro fixture just because I save 250$
Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Ecotech Radions are amazing. I have 2 over my 55 reef and love every minute of them.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have no complaints. Again the expandability is great along with the ease of programming. Now all they need is Vortech integration & Profilux control.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM
I have no complaints. Again the expandability is great along with the ease of programming. Now all they need is Vortech integration & Profilux control.
You have no complaints on the ecoxotic or the radions. Also what do you keep under them?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

if your looking for a new tank check out glasscage.com they do custom builds and your basics also they have ok prices
Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

No complaints on the Radion. I have a mixed reef - acropora, montis, Stylo, birdsnest are the most light needy

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com