Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

how much flow is too much flow

i have a 30 gal tank currently set up with some GSP, mushrooms, kenya tree. just some easy grow stuff. i also have a clown and a royal gramma. my question is i had a hydor mini 425 gph powerhead on it. didnt seem to push that much. so i got a maxijet 400. its rated for 500 gph in the recirculation mode. 110 gph in powerhead mode. i have it set up in recirculation mode.

it seems to push wayyyy more then the hydor mini. i also have a marineland 350 HOB filter (filled with live rock rubble with a coarse cleaning pad for mechanical filtration) and a prism HOb skimmer. the skimmer and filter dont put out a lot of current. is this too much for the tank? the clown seems to like it. im just worried about the corals getting too much flow. i may need to move them around. i will get a pic of the tank a bit later to show the coral placement. any questions just ask.

thanks in advance

Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had similar questions a while back for my 125. This is the advice that was passed on to me:

"A fowlr tank should be atleast 10x a soft coral tank 30x mixed reef 40x+ and sps reef 50x. This is a general rule of thumb but works out pretty well in most cases."

So take all if your gph and add them together then divide by the number of gallons. 500/30= ~16.6

So in fact you could do a lot more (if I'm understanding the situation)

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That does make sense. It just seems like a lot lol. So I could put the other power head on the other side essentially.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The best kind of flow esp. in a reef tank is chaotic flow. Two PH`s pointed at each other from seperate ends od the tank. I have my return lines pointed to the front glass at the same spot and it causes this chaotic flow. That`s my experience for 14+ yrs.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sound advice.

The way that helped me think about it was when I tried to mimic my setup as close to that of an actual body of water. It is amazing how fast corals become happy when you do this.

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com