How much food do these things eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So through my journey of reef keeping I'm the most stocked I've ever been. My 125 gallon is a year old and running great. I lived through Marine Velvet although none of my fish did and I've re stocked. I now have...

6 really big green chromis
1 yellow tang
2 clowns
1 square back anthias
1 leopard wrasse
1 baby oriental sweetlips
1 lamarak angel
1 orange spot goby

So I have 14 fish, no huge ones or pigs like triggers, just 14 regular reef fish. How much would I feed these guys a day? Right now they are devouring food faster than I can add it to the tank. I basically feed them 4 cubes of frozen a day, does this seem too much? They are healthy, they are happy, they are fat I have no algae in the tank at all.

Should I cut back? Keep it up? Not enough?

IMG_1923.JPG

The tank is stunning.
No algae is good, you have no no3 issues?
The sweet lips will eat you out of house and home if you get him eating!
They don't get to 30 inches+ by fasting!!
Those are some pretty big chromis also(hogs?).
If you have good control exporting no3 then feed away.
I limit my feeding to 2x a week for my marine friendlies and FOWLR.

Are you thawing and rinsing the cubes before feeding?

I have no nitrates or phosphates at all. I have a nice big skimmer, refugium PACKED full of ever growing cheato and a phosban reactor.

Yes, I take the cubes and rinse them first. I also feed slowly to ensure all the food is eaten and not stuck under rock ect. I think the method I'm using is why I don't see a lot of issues.

Ya the Chromis are huge, biggest I've seen ever. About the size of my adult squarespot to tell you the truth. They consume the most, I swear they would eat forever if food kept falling in the tank.

twice a week eh, I don't know if I could do that, I feel bad when I skip a day...lol

You win!!! High fiveee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed 5-6 cubes of Mysis, or a 2" piece of Rod's/LRS to my 120 daily. That's not including the 3 times a week coral feedings. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 watt LED dimmable Ebay specials. Many call them taotronics. Just search "Dimmable aquarium LED lights" on ebay and you can't miss them. About $100 a unit.

Very nice tank! What lights are you running?

120 watt LED dimmable Ebay specials. Many call them taotronics. Just search "Dimmable aquarium LED lights" on ebay and you can't miss them. About $100 a unit.

A lot of us have those lights but not your results!!!
How high are your settings on the two channels set??
I have 2 of these lights still in boxes as backup if my acan fails.

Blues are at about 100% and whites are at about 25%. I've played with them over the years and find this is my optimal setting. I like the look with this mix and the corals do really well. When I first set them up on my 55 gallon I bleached everything as I was running 2 at almost 100%. On that tank I turned all channels down to 25% and things recovered.

One thing I found with lights like this my SPS grow like crazy. Because of this they suck everything out of the water. I dose Alk/Cal/Mg daily and trace elements weekly to keep things in check. Without trace elements my coral were fading as the water was being stripped.

Two tricks:

Develop means to get the vast majority of the food into the fish and organisms that utilize it.

Feed high quality foods and rotate them.

I prefer to feed at least once a day, and for example my school of chromis is stable. I also have tangs that are over 15 years old. Many of these fish have very short digestive systems and it really stresses them if they can't get enough to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom